Recipe on the internet-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruffiano31

Reaction score
I found this recipe on the internet, and I was wondering what you all think about it. The alcohol content is great, so I don't want to compromise that. I was planning on taking out 3 lbs of honey, and substituting it with 3 lbs of extra light extract. I think 6 lbs of honey is too much. Here's the recipe: (I know it looks like all ingredients are doubled, but I think you need that much of everything...the IBU's have to be wrong. I substituted them to: 1 0z magnum for bittering, 1 0z sterling for flavor and 1/2 oz sterling for aroma) So what does everyone think>??!!

Beer's Name: Belgian Fruity White Style: Wheat (Belgian White (Wit))
Original Gravity: 1.11
Final Gravity: 1.029
Alcohol content: 10.65%
Calories (per 12 oz.): 370
Total IBU (Bitterness): 146
SRM (color): 4

Ingredients: (portions for a 5 gal. batch)
3 lbs. Honey
3 lbs. Wheat extract
3 lbs. Honey
3 lbs. Wheat extract
0.5 lbs. Belgian Munich light malt
0.5 lbs. Belgian Munich light malt
0.5 lbs. German Pilsner pale malt
0.5 lbs. German Pilsner pale malt
1.5 oz. Admiral (pellet% AA) Boil time 60 min.
1.5 oz. Admiral (pellet% AA) Boil time 60 min.
1 oz Orange Peel
0.5 oz Corriander
0.5 oz Corriander
0.5 oz Irish Moss
0.5 oz Irish Moss
1 oz Orange Peel
1 oz. Wyeast 3944 (Belgian Wit) Yeast (Ideal ferm. temp: 62-75°F)
1 oz. Wyeast 3944 (Belgian Wit) Yeast (Ideal ferm. temp: 62-75°F)
Directions:
Steep crushed malted grain in 2 gallons of 150° water (tap water is about 130°) for 30 minutes. Don’t fret the temp too much, relax. Remove the grain from the hot water with a strainer, then bring water to a boil. When boiling starts, remove pot from burner and add malt syrup. Return to a boil, then add boiling hops and boil for 60 minutes. Add Irish Moss for last 45 minutes of boil. Add spices for last 15 minutes of the boil. Fill your sanitized carboy with 2 gallons of cold water. Strain the hot wort into the carboy and top off to the 5 gallon mark. Add yeast when beer is less than 78°, and ferment and bottle as ususal.

I'm confused as to why the recipe lists each ingredient twice? (apart from the orange peel for some reason).

ditto on the double listing....

run it in beer smith to check it out....

very high OG.... good luck!

Looks like someone has double up ingredients on a recipe just to make more alcohol content... .5 oz of irish moss is way too much for any 5 gallon batch also...

Just a side note, you mention that tap water is 130 degrees. As a general rule, you should never drink or use use for cooking, brewing, ect. water that was drawn taken from the water heater. Hot water has a greater tendency to draw out heavy metals from pipes, like lead. There's a link in some other forum to the EPAs stance on this, but this has the same information.

Tap-Water Recommendations

Just get two gallons cold water, and spend an extra 15 mins heating it.

Latest posts

Back