Recipe mash question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
I am looking at some recipes for my upcoming first AG brew. They all have a "Mash In", "Mash Out", and a "Sparge" step. I just want to make sure that I am clear on what each step is.

Mash In - Basically mixing the grain and the water.

Mash Out - Adding warmer water to the existing Mash In to terminate enzymatic activity and to improve the flow of the sugar solution during lautering.

Sparge - This is where I am confused. I know that sparging is to rinse the grain. So I assume that I drain all the Mash In\Mash Out liquid prior to sparging, correct?

Welcome to all grain! I'm new to it too - so take what I say with a grain of salt. You're correct on all three mash in, mash out, and sparge. To answer your sparge question: It depends on whether you're going to batch sparge or fly sparge. If batch sparge Yes drain all the first runnings then do your first batch sparge, drain, then repeat (if you're rinsing the grains twice). If you're fly sparging, start draining the wort and keep adding water to the top of the grain bed, keeping at least a couple inches or so of water above the grain until you hit your volume (or when the runnings get less than 1.010).

Vorlauf (recirculate the runnings to the top of the grain bed) any time you mix up the grains and begin draining wort until the runnings are clear.

Back