Recipe - Magnum Citra IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rainhard

Reaction score
Was hoping to get some input on this Citra IPA recipe I formulated. This was my first batch using my new corona mill, and to my surprise, I only hit 50% Efficiency! Don't know what happened. I thought the grain looked milled enough. Because of the low efficiency, I had to add 1lb corn sugar during the boil.

I added fresh cut Pineapple to the boil with 10 min left (about eight 1-inch cubes). 5 gallon batch. Chilled with immersion chiller to 70 degrees F. pitched rehydrated yeast at 70 degrees and fermented at 64 degrees ( increased to 68 degrees during vigorous fermenting).

% LB OZ MALT
78% 10 0 Canada Malting Canadian 2-Row
8% 1 0 Corn Sugar (Dextrose)
5% 0 10 Munich Malt
4% 0 9 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 70L
3% 0 7 Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1% 0 2 Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L

HOP SCHEDULE
Boil 60 mins 0.75 Magnum pellet 13.1
boil 20 mins 0.5 Citra pellet 13.4
boil 10 mins 0.25 Citra pellet 13.4
boil 5 mins 0.25 Citra pellet 13.4
boil 1 min 0.25 Amarillo pellet 7.0
boil 1 min 0.25 Citra pellet 13.4
dry hop 7 days 0.25 Amarillo pellet 7.0
dry hop 7 days 0.75 Citra pellet 13.4

OG - 1.052
Eff. 52%
9 SRM
Est ABV - 5.5%

Safale US-05 Dry Yeast

Any thoughts?? What is going to be the effect of only getting 50% brewhouse efficiency? less flavor?

thanks

lower efficiency just means you needed to use more grain to produce the wort than somebody with higher efficiency.

If I made this recipe and targeted the OG you have, I would have to reduce the amounts of the grains (drop 1/3 of everything)

In theory, our wort would taste the same.

Ok, that's what I was thinking. Next time I will definetly go a little finer with the crush.

Aside from that issue, any input on the grain bill? Suggestions for next time?

Latest posts

Back