Recipe ideas

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexriverajr

Reaction score
I have some inherited goodies and looking for ideas for a recipe. The following are the ingredients:

7lb Wheat LME
6LBs Extra Pale Ale LME
3.3lbs CBW Pilsen Light LME
1lbs CBW Pilsen Light DME
1oz German Perle
1oz Ahtanum
11.5g Saflager S-23

Any help would be great!!!

Hopefully you aren't insistent on using all of that in one recipe!

You seem pretty limited there, with no specialty grains. And I don't think you have enough hops to go big. So maybe just use the 6 lbs LME and the 1 lb DME. I think that gets you around 1.050.

You could use all the Ahtanum for bittering and the Perle late. I'm guessing ~40 IBUs. Seems a waste of Ahtanum, but that's what you have.

If you wanted to go non-traditional, intertwine the two hops. I might suggest using some of the wheat, but it's LME, so I'm guessing all or nothing. I don't know about a wheat lager.

Well not really. I'm looking for ideas. I'm game for specialty grains or hops to make something tasty.

Are you willing to buy some more hops and make an IPA? Buy grains and do a pale ale? How about different grains and hops and make a porter or even a stout?

What I'm getting at is that if you only want to use what you already have you are limited but with some additions, anything is possible.

Are you willing to buy some more hops and make an IPA? Buy grains and do a pale ale? How about different grains and hops and make a porter or even a stout?

What I'm getting at is that if you only want to use what you already have you are limited but with some additions, anything is possible.

Absolutely. Right now I have a bottled Pumpkin & Belgian White. I have a Peanut Butter Chocolate Stout in a primary. I'm trying to make something that compliments that catalog. I'm willing to by a few items if need be.

How about a pale ale?
6 Lbs extra light LNE
1 LB Crystal 40 or 60 (I like either, YMMV) steeped

1 oz Warrior or another hop with high alpha acid. (Nugget works for me since that is what is available locally) at 60 for bittering.
1 oz Citra dry hopped
1 oz Cascade dry hopped

How about a pale ale?
6 Lbs extra light LNE
1 LB Crystal 40 or 60 (I like either, YMMV) steeped

1 oz Warrior or another hop with high alpha acid. (Nugget works for me since that is what is available locally) at 60 for bittering.
1 oz Citra dry hopped
1 oz Cascade dry hopped

What do you think of the following:

6lb Extra Pale - LME
1lb Cara 8
1oz German Perle @ 60 mins
1oz Ahtanum @ 10 mins
Saflager-23

Suggestions accepted.

i think the German Perle hops will be short on bittering for a pale ale. That doesn't mean you won't like it but I'd prefer a little more bitterness. I also like the citrus aroma but that is personal preference too.

Back