Recipe ideas using Bartlett Pear

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhythmsteve

Reaction score
I have a Bartlett Pear tree on my property and I want to utilize this fruit in a beer somehow. I have tried to make wine with them before to limited success, I find the pear flavor is very mute. I was thinking of trying a
Saison with the pears but I want to get feedback from you all. Has anyone ever used pears in this application. Any recipes out there? Pros and cons, etc....

My parents have a Bartlett pear tree in their yard. I've also tried making wine and cider from them with little success. They ferment out very dry leaving little flavor. I've thought about trying to integrate them into a beer but have never tried it due to my lack of success using them on their own. My sister has a pear tree in her yard but it's not a Bartlett. I don't know what variety it is. They are much harder and more tart than the Bartlett. They should be better to use but I've never tried. If you figure something out let me know.

My first thought is if nothing else you prime with pear juice at bottling. Logsdon Farms does this in its saisons and it's good, subtle. Using a fruity saison yeast (WLP566 maybe?) might help accentuate it more, and/or fruity hops.

Back