Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deadhead

Reaction score
so I obtained a very rough idea of ingredients for one of my favorite beers from a local brewery. The recipe is for a 20bbl batch. I tried plugging in the recipe to brewers friend(as a 20 bbl batch) so I could scale it down. When I plug all the ingredients into the website, it’s saying that the Abv will be like 1.5% or something low like that.
So I’m trying to figure out what’s wrong, is it the batch size (20 bbl) or is it the amount of grains being used. I’m guessing there is no what to know for sure but wanted to get some opinions. (Recipe below)Thanks

Yeast: London Ale III

Grains: Pale = 990lbs, Flaked Oats = 55lbs, Crisp Munich Light = 110lbs, Weyermann CaraAroma = 13.75lbs

Hops:

Active Fermentation = 22 lbs Citra, 11lbs Centennial.

Dry Hopping = 11lbs Citra, 5.5lbs Centennial

Try this:

12.75 lbs. pale ale malt
0.75 lbs. Flaked Oats
1.5 lbs. Munich Light
3 Oz. CaraAroma

Active Fermentation = 4.5 Oz. Citra, 2.25 Oz. Centenial

Dry Hopping = 2.25 Oz. Citra, 1.125 Oz. Centennial

Something close to this should work for ~5.5 gallons in the fermentor.

Totaling the pounds in the grain bill and converting each ingredient to a percentage comes up with (approximately) 85% pale, 4.5% oats, 9% Munich and 1% CaraAroma.

For a 5 gal batch with, say, 12 lb grain bill, that would be, respectively, 10.2 lbs, .5lbs, 1 lb and 2 oz of each ingredient.

For hops, divide by 10 and round down. 2 oz Citra, 1oz Centennial in the boil, 1 oz Citra and .5 oz Centennial n the fermenter.

Plug those numbers into a brewing calculator for fine tuning.

Edit: I was calculating while Silver was posting.

You know, I think one thing I did wrong on brewers friend is I left the efficiency at 30%. Seems to be looking better now when I bump it up to 80%. Thanks for everyone’s help.
This is a “both coast” ipa btw. So damn good. Looking forward to trying it .

So this one came out a little off. My LBS mixed my grains by accident, so there was way more CaraAroma than the recipe called for. The color is enough to turn people off, but it is actually very good. I’m going to keep working on this recipe!
2A932347-F1D7-49CD-95FD-956CEDDF8C9F.jpeg

If you’re not happy, then keep at it like you said. I know I’ve tasted some brews from commercial craft breweries that I wished they would have kept working at it.

Back