Recipe Help - Scottish 80/-

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

corvax13

Reaction score
Hello everyone

This is my first attempt at building my own recipe, following BJCP guidelines and after going a over few other recipes.
This will be my second BIAB All Grain batch.

Kiss the Scott
Scottish Ale 80/-

Batch Size - 2.5g

4lb British Two-Row
2oz Munich
2oz Crystal 80L
2oz Crystal 120L
2oz Roasted Barley
1oz Honey Malt

0.5oz EKG @ 60 mins.

Mash @ 154 for 60 mins.

90 min boil

Scottish Ale Yeast

What do you guys think? I would like to brew this weekend, aiming for something simple, yet it still follows the BJCP standards.

Thanks for all your input!

Please, no peated malt! That stuff makes me wretch. ;)

Since you're missing crystal malt in your formulation, will you be using a long boil or kettle caramelization to develop the buttery toffee character?

Might be a little tricky to use kettle caramelization with BIAB, however.

Thats what I intended, but perhaps I should replace the peated malt with some crystal? Ive never brewed with peated malt, so not sure if its something I actually want in there.

As Flyangler mentioned, some brewers use kettle carmelization to provide a distinctive flavor. You can take some of the first runnings, and boil them to get some maillard reactions, then add it to your wort. An extended boil will also help.

I'm no expert on Scottish ales, but I agree there should be NO peat malt in there.

You could use a little roasted barley for color, or a little chocolate malt. I'd use some 40L crystal (a pound) and maybe some honey malt (1/2 pound) if I wasn't doing the kettle carmelization. Jamil's recipe for 70+/- has 1/4 pound of crystal 120L and some Munich malt.

Agreed: No peated malt! I think you have to have some crystal in there even if you do go for the kettle carmalization, but that could just be me. I prefer the med crystals in Scotts, 60L-80L, for the sweet caramel character they provide, along with maybe 2oz of 120L for depth. So something like: 4lb 2-row, 3-4 oz Roast, 4 oz 60L, 2 oz 120L, a long boil, and boiling some of the first runnings as Yoop suggested. Happy brewing!

Just added the Crystal 120.

This puts me right on the upper border of the style. Should I maybe lower the 2row in favor of more Crystal?

Also, Ill try and do a 90minute boil - will this be enough to get what I am looking for?

Thanks for everyone's help and speedy replies!

Ok, added some more Crystal and a little bit of Munich, which, as I understand, will add a little more sweetness. EDIT - threw in some Honey Malt, still within style.

Hows it looking so far?

I think you have to have some crystal in there even if you do go for the kettle carmalization, but that could just be me.

I respectfully disagree. ;)

Aggressively boiling down the first runnings by at least 50% will produce a rich and luscious caramel/toffee character - no need for any additional crystal malt. 98% pale malt (I use MO, but I know a few accomplished brewers who adore Golden Promise as the base malt for their Scottish ales) and 2% Roasted Barley is all you need ingredient-wise; let the rest of the character come from technique.

Is it really just that simple?

Also, would my recipe as is be severely flawed, or is it something that looks kinda tasty to you guys?

I did one not too long ago. I got a little bit of a smokey flavor from the scottish ale yeast I used, I think. I don't think I got a smokiness from the carmelization, just more sweetness.

Well, heres to hoping it will turn out alright. Just got all my ingredients from BMW - taking advantage that they ship within GA now, hope to get everything soon.

Thanks everyone for your help! Ill let you know in a few months how it turns out. . .

Back