Recipe Gone Bad?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NLBrewer

Reaction score
I just attempted a Brew House kit hack, Irish Sout using this video as the instructions,

When I steeped my flaked barley and roasted barley (my brew shop had toasted barley, I'm assuming that is the same as roasted) the liquid wort did not turn dark as in the video. Mine is just a light coloured hazy water. Looks nothing like the video. I continued on with the recipe but I'm thinking it's probably not gonna be good. Any idea what I did wrong? Bad barley? Mayed 'toasted' is not the same as 'roasted'? I also get no roasted/malty smell...something more along the lines of oatmeal really...

Very disappointed so far...lets hope for the best!

Last edited by a moderator:
Roasted barley should be black like coffee beans. Toasted barley I think of as a lighter toast, usually done at home. There are various specialty malts that are toasted/roasted as part of their production, but I've not seen a product sold as "toasted barley" in a homebrew store. My guess is it's something like biscuit or victory. At any rate, sounds like they gave you something lighter. It will not be a stout without dark roasted grains. Dark extract might have included some but the extract in that video looks golden. Don't give up on it, you may get a nice toasty ale just not what you were intending.

BTW, was the LHBS just out or do they not carry roasted barley? If it's the latter you need a new HBS, especially if they told you that would be an adequate sub.

Looks like I just picked up the wrong ingredient. To be fair to the LBS, I just grabbed it off the shelf without asking - seemed to make sense to me but obviously a rookie mistake. Thanks for clearing things up for me! I'm sure it will still be able to get me tipsy :)

Unfortunately, roasted and toasted are not the same. Think toasted bread vs burnt bread (roasted barley). Chances are you'll still have a nice beer, but not a stout...maybe more like a brown ale.

Back