Recipe for Redhook Double Black Stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pete08

Reaction score
Earlier this fall, someone posted a link to a Redhook Double Black Stout clone. Help is needed to find this recipe.

Recipe Type: Mini-mash
Yeast: White Labs California Ale 001
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.25
Soaking Time (Minutes: 45
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 68'

Beer Profile
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.069 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 6.943 %

Ingredients
Amount Item Type
1.25 lb Chocolate Malt
0.75 lb Pale Ale Malt
0.50 lb Black Roasted Barley
0.50 lb Black Patent Malt
1.00 lb Crystal 60L Malt

4.50 lb Amber Extract
3.00 lb Wheat Extract

2.50 oz Northern Brewer hops, 60 minutes
1.50 oz Cascade hops, flame out

2x White Labs California Ale 001

15.00 oz Expresso (brewed), secondary

Soak grains 45 minutes in 2.5 gallons water at 155%.
Pour 2 qts water at 170% over bag, remove bag.
Add extract, boil for 60 minutes.

7 days primary.
7 days secondary
28 days bottled

SWMBO's choice.
In primary. Ready 30 May 2010.

First bottle was opened last night. Very smooth with a distinct espresso finish. I expect SWMBO will keep Red Hook Double Black Espresso Stout as a regular in the rotation.

This is by far my favorite coffee recipe. It tastes just like the original, and I'm glad to be able to make it on my own. I can't find this beer anywhere in stores anymore.

Thanks!

I queried Redhook, and their Beer Guru replied that they have no current plans to bring Double Black Espresso Stout back.

That amazes me. Redhook is in my neck of the woods, and they used to give out samples of the double-black stout on their brewery tours, and it always seemed like such a hit.

I'd like to report that this beer came out very close to how I remember the original! I love it, and it's a big hit with my coffee-loving, dark-beer hating friends. Thanks for giving me access to a beer that I've missed for quite some time.

Surprised not more folks have commented here... I'm new to homebrewing but have pretty much always been a devoted Red Hook guy. My first batch was a RedHook ESB clone, then did a Belgian Wheat, next up is the Portsmouth Brewery Oatmeal Stout, and by batch five I WILL have done this Double Black... been years since I've had one.

It's the best Stout I've ever brewed.

Ok, it's the only Stout I've ever brewed. Split it with a neighbor who loved it as well.

It's the best Stout I've ever brewed.

Ok, it's the only Stout I've ever brewed. Split it with a neighbor who loved it as well.

Did you have the luxury of trying the original? One of the more unique beer experiences I've ever had. Of course this is coming from a guy who'd drink piss labeled Red Hook and call it great.:tank:

Trader Joe's had a batch of it 1-2 years ago, so I bought a few. It was good, the fresh brewed clone was better.

Wish I had found it when it was at reader joes. It was perfect fresh from the brewery, but most times a fresh brewed batch at home is even better.

Got this going now, three weeks in the primary went from 1.6 to 1.2 so far. Tastes good out of carboy, maybe a little sticky for my tastes but I haven't added the espresso yet.

I've started the yeast for my second batch. This is my first repeat. SWMBO requested it with no variation.

This variation is an adaptation because of leftovers and change of vendors and their package sizes.

Recipe Type: Mini-mash
Yeast: White Labs California Ale 001
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.25
Soaking Time (Minutes: 45
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 7 @ 68'

Beer Profile
Estimated Original Gravity: 1.069 SG
Estimated Final Gravity: 1.016 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Volume: 6.943 %

Ingredients
Amount Item Type