Recipe for Malta Guinness?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarkBrood

Reaction score
Thinking about a friend with an alcohol sensitivity issue (even .5% is a bit much for him) who is (rather, was) a beer lover....

I would like to make a batch of cloned Malta Guinness for him - does anyone out there have a decent clone recipe?

...any other unusual malta recipes? I don't really want to duplicate Malta Goya - I want something tastier.

I've found notes about maltas being brewed in Europe with additives like mint or strawberries....is there a particular reason that the commercial maltas are all molasses-like and stout-coloured? Is there a reason that a malta recipe couldn't finish with a lighter colour and a bready/biscuty finish? ...or fruity? spiced? etc.?

Thanks for any pointers or ideas! :mug: PROSIT!

-Bryan
aka Dark Brood Homebrewery

ON TAP: Dunkelglatt German Dark Ale, Grumpy Gorilla Robust Porter, Solstice Special Ale
CONDITIONING: Hop-Hammer IPA, Cone-King Imperial IPA
FERMENTING: Patersbier, Irish Blonde Ale, Strawberry Blonde Ale
NEXT BREW DAY: Irish Draught Ale

I have been having the exact same thoughts. I'm actually going to go out of my way to try and make a few different batches of "Malta" but with an extreme twist on the commercial versions that can be found. I agree that the commercial examples seem to be overly thick and sweet and most are dark due to the addition of caramel coloring. I don't see why malta couldnt be made in a variety of different ways.

Did you ever get around to producing any? any input from your experiences would be highly appreciated. I've been thinking of recreating some of my favorite styles of beer in malta form just for fun.

Back