Recipe for Katharina von Bora's beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jetzs

Reaction score
Hi,

I am teaching a beginning brewing class at church and looking for Katharina von Bora's (Katie Luther's) beer recipe.

The only one I have found includes secondary fermentation, which is a bit advanced for this class.

Does anyone have any ideas or know where I can find a recipe?

Thank you!

Hey! I am a Lutheran pastor who also brews and I just want to say this is great.

Also have you heard this quote?

"when the devil says to you: do not drink, answer him: I will drink, and right freely, just because you tell me not to."
-Martin Luther

Hi,

I am teaching a beginning brewing class at church and looking for Katharina von Bora's (Katie Luther's) beer recipe.

The only one I have found includes secondary fermentation, which is a bit advanced for this class.

Does anyone have any ideas or know where I can find a recipe?

Thank you!

Can you post the recipe (or a link to the recipe) that you have?

Thanks -

Ron

Appears Luther's favorite beer, Einbeck, was made from two thirds barley and one third wheat.

"Yellow in color and clear." so I would use a non roasted malt, probably a pilsner or 2 row with white wheat. Add a German ale yeast and some hops that would have been available at the time and you should be in the ballpark.

I love historic beers.

TasunkaWitko, it is the same recipe posted by Dcpcooks above.

Bilder, Thanks so much for the nice history article. We can talk about that too when we do the brewing class.

Latest posts

Back