Recipe for First Partial Mash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DangerDanJD

Reaction score
Hello all. I've been brewing a couple of months using extracts only and would like to try my hand at a partial mash recipe. My plan is to generally follow the guidelines DeathBrewer sets out in the sticky thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/easy-partial-mash-brewing-pics-75231/.

I was thinking of brewing an American Wheat style beer, but I am open to suggestions. Can anyone suggest or point me in the direction of a good beginner-friendly recipe for my first Partial Mash brew?

DD

a small step that helped me with efficiency was to recycle the wort back through the grains a couple of times to make sure i extracted ALL the sugars. also i recommend an IPA of any kind. simple, cheap and easy. When using extract, wheat style beers tend to have a bit darker SRM then usual. Dont be discouraged if the color is a little off. cheers.

Keep it simple. Go for BM'S centennial blonde, or mild mannered ale......maybe a cream of three crops. Just get the process down, get the feel for mashing grains, and figure out if you wanna do a biab or traditional mash (braid or manifold). Work on the process end of things to get comfortable with things like holding mash temps, GETTING TO mash temps, learning about your equipment. Keep it simple at first, you'll have plenty of time later to perfect things. Thats just my opinion. You'll get plenty of others.

Back