Recipe feedback? Thanks!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan_L

Reaction score
So in anticipation of some snow tomorrow and cancelled classes (fingers crossed) I wanted to use the time to brew. Still new to the game and have been doing clones. Stopped by the LHBS to shoot the sh*t tonight and made sure I had ingredients before I left. Grabbed a sack of MO and asked what he had for hops. He just got some Citra in and I jumped at it because of all the fuss i've heard about it. I've never made my own recipe from scratch, usually find a style and compare recipes out there, then pick and choose till I come up with somethin.

I have on hand the MO, about a pound of C120, C40, aromatic, pils, and for hops I got an ounce of citra, pacifica, and amarillo today but also still have .50z perle, magnum, and an ounce or two of centennial and chinook earmarked for a dry hop next week so I could use that and replace it before then. This is what I came up with so far... any feedback to the brain bill or hop schedule would be greatly appreciated.

It will get pitched on a 1056 yeast cake from a 3 week old batch I will bottle before brewing.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Snow Day IPA
Brewer: Evan Lintz
Asst Brewer:
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.89 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.76 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.75 gal
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 10.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 53.5 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 62.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 73.3 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes
Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
15 lbs Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 93.8 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 2 4.7 %
4.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 3 1.6 %
0.40 oz Magnum [14.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 4 15.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 5 21.2 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 6 6.1 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.90 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 7 4.5 IBUs
1.00 oz Pacifica [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 3.0 IBUs
1.00 oz Citra [14.10 %] - Boil 2.0 min Hop 9 3.3 IBUs
Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 16 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 17.75 qt of water at 171.4 F 152.0 F 60 min
Sparge: Batch sparge with 3 steps (Drain mash tun, , 5.83gal, 0.34gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------

It looks good.

The only suggestion I have is to move the centennial. Move it to later in the boil if you want a flavor impact, or move it earlier in the boil if you want more bitterness. At 30 minutes, it imparts bittering but you won't really get much "centennial" flavor to go with the other hops.

Great, thanks. I only tossed it in there to get the IBU up a bit, I think i'll add it in at 60. I guess I need to get it out of my head that a 30 min or 20 min (or any min) is a mandatory addition time. I'm mostly concerned that I am using the Pacifica and Citra properly to get the most out of the flavor and aroma.

Should I combine the Amarillo additions into one then, or leave it spread out, I was workin on the assumption that different times would extract different properties and add to the complexity.

Should I combine the Amarillo additions into one then, or leave it spread out, I was workin on the assumption that different times would extract different properties and add to the complexity.

Well, 5 minutes won't make a great deal of difference- but I like it anyway! :D

Looks like a very nice and simple IPA with some great hop character. Agreed I would move the Centennial later if you want it's flavor and earlier if you want its bitterness, I would personally move it to about 45 minutes to bitter it up a bit since you have some nice flavor from the Amarillo.

Good luck and happy brewing!

Latest posts

Back