Recipe critique...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DatsyukianDeke

self-proclaimed
Reaction score
My next brew is going to be a modified Two Hearted AIPA.

Edit: 60 minute mash at 150F.

5lb Briess 2-Row
5lb Crisp Maris Otter
3lb Briess Pale Ale Malt
0.5lb Weyermann Vienna (left over from a previous brew)
6oz Briess C40
4oz Wyermann Caramunich I (left over from a previous brew)

1oz Azacca (13% AA) @ 60 2oz Azacca @ Flameout

Bell's House Yeast Imperial A62

2.5oz Azacca Dry Hop 5 days 2,5oz Azacca Dry Hop 3 days

I'm just wondering about using the Caramunich and the C40. Tasting it out of the bag the Caramunich doesn't taste as sweet as the C40. Will these two together add too much sweetness? Anything glaringly wrong with the hop schedule as written?

For my two hearted clone my hop schedule was as follows:

1 ounce Centennial at 60 minutes
1 ounce Centennial at 30 minutes
1 ounce centennial at 5 minutes

Dry hop with 3 ounces centennial for five days.

I haven't made the beer in quite a while, however when I put them head to head it was pretty darn close.

As much as I like Azacca I think if you want the clone you gotta go centennial. However you said modified so go for it . If you wanted to use the caramunich and the C40 you may want to cut back on the 40 and go 4 oz. Guess it depends on your abv it might be high enough the tad sweetness from 6 oz c40 and 4oz of caramunich might be fine and you may not even tell. I say brew it . You might love it . You will know for future brews .

You have 13.5 lb of base malt and 10 oz. of crystal which works out to 4.5%. It shouldn't be too sweet. Of course it's mostly personal preference, but I think your recipe looks fine.

You have 13.5 lb of base malt and 10 oz. of crystal which works out to 4.5%. It shouldn't be too sweet. Of course it's mostly personal preference, but I think your recipe looks fine.
I agree. Personally I like American IPA to have very little malt character, (clean grainy, very light caramel at most.) With that being said I don't think it will be too sweet with that mash temp, Bell's house yeast IME seems to be sensitive to mash temp, so 150F should dry it out well enough. It won't be a THA clone but it should taste great. Good luck!

I am a big fan of simple grain bills. The kit for two hearted is supposedly 2 row, pale ale, and C40. I would say cut the Maris otter if possible, and probably the CaraMunich. Depends on your definition of modified. Azacca will definitely give a different vibe but the suggestion has me thinking now. Brew what and how you want. Good luck!

As much as I like Azacca I think if you want the clone you gotta go centennial. However you said modified so go for it . If you wanted to use the caramunich and the C40 you may want to cut back on the 40 and go 4 oz. Guess it depends on your abv it might be high enough the tad sweetness from 6 oz c40 and 4oz of caramunich might be fine and you may not even tell. I say brew it . You might love it . You will know for future brews .

I'm not trying to clone Two Hearted. Just using what I have on hand. Thanks for the input everyone!

I am a big fan of simple grain bills. The kit for two hearted is supposedly 2 row, pale ale, and C40. I would say cut the Maris otter if possible, and probably the CaraMunich. Depends on your definition of modified. Azacca will definitely give a different vibe but the suggestion has me thinking now. Brew what and how you want. Good luck!

I was going to use the Caramunich since the original THA grain bill calls for 8oz of C40 and I only have 6oz on hand.

I think 6 oz is enough. Actually, too much. You have a lovely combo of base malts, which will provide enough colour and backbone to the beer.

Latest posts

Back