Recipe Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SC_Ed

Reaction score
Hey guys wanted to get your opinion on this recipe I just put together with my buddy.

Grains: 1lb Munich 20L

LME: 9lbs Briess Light

Hopping Schedule:
Galena 60 mins 1oz
Centennial 45 mins 1oz
Simcoe 15 mins 1oz
Amarillo 5mins 1oz
Citra 5mins 2oz

Yeast: Safale US-05 but considering white labs Ca ale yeast

Dry hopping with 2 oz of Citra.

I'm looking for a bright citrusy IPA with around 7% abv

Switch that Centennial hop addition to somewhere in the last 10 minutes of the boil and I think you'll be good. No need in wasting the great flavors of that hop by using it only for its bitterness.

I'm looking for a bright citrusy IPA with around 7% abv

Munich has to be mashed for a specific time at a specific temperature; not steeped. If you have the ability to do a mini mash with a grist of mainly 2-row with some munich in there, then by all means do so, just use less DME to make up for the difference. If doing, mash in the mid to upper 140s to offset the DME's tendency to produce beers of higher FG than their All Grain counterparts. If you're not mashing, then you'd be better of with 4-5% light crystal for color and flavor; although you will still have a good IPA without crystal or munich.

For a bright and citrusy IPA, swap about 8% of your Briess DME for sugar (added at flameout). Add half of your DME at boil start and half at flameout. This will aid in crispness and dryness. The hops will pop better. Making sure that your water is high in sulfates via use of adequate amounts of gypsum will also help with this goal.

Bitter with the Galena.

Use 1 oz. Citra and 1 oz. Simcoe at 10 Minutes.

Add 2 oz. Citra for the hopstand/whirlpool addition.

Use 1 oz. each: Amarillo, Centennial, and Citra in the dryhop.

^This may be quite tropical/fruity, since Citra is primarily tropical contrary to its name.

Make sure you pitch plenty of yeast into highly oxygenated wort (use a pitching calculator). Wait 2-3 weeks after primary fermentation at about 67 F. Add your dryhop. Wait another week. Bottle. Carb. Enjoy.

You might be fine with the US-05.

Great comments above. If you meant "Cara-munich" instead of Munich, I don't think that needs to be mashed, it can be steeped.

Thanks everyone I already brewed it as stated but you give me great ideas for future batches.

I relied heavily on my LHBS guy on this one.

It tasted good, similar to Anderson valley hop ottin in terms of malt profile.

Would a dry hop of 3oz Citra, 1 oz Amarillo and 1oz simcoe be overbearing?

Latest posts

Back