Recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estbrew

Reaction score
Soon i am having my 1st annivesary of all grain brewing. To celebrate it i am redoing my first AG recipe. The beer was low on ABV and too hard on IBU , so using my learnt experieces i would like to make more balanced beverage.

General idea is to use Vienna, Carahell malts and Perle for hops to get pale, clear, and well balanced tasty brew with a foamy head. Of course all comes with time and practice but here is my recipe:

Õlu No.1
Blond Ale
Batch size: 22L
OG 1,042
FG 1,011
Yeast: S-04
20 IBU

90% Vienna 3,5kg
10% Carahell 0,4kg

Magnum 11,8 Alpha % 10g FWH
Perle 9,8 Alpha % 25g Hopstand 30 min
Irish moss @ 15 min

Horzkurtz mashing Schedule

I not quite sure about the amount of the caramalt. But i think low OG beer needs a higher amount for mouthfeel, body and foam stability.

Another question is about late hop addition. One of my goals is to find out about Perle aromatic qualities(it is said that perle have subdle minty character). Is 25g(about 1oz) right amount for that? And will hopsteap be efficient enought or should i do late boiling addition?

Back