Recipe Conversion request

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benxrow2002

Reaction score
I was hoping for some help from some of you guys with changing a few things on a recipe I came across. The current recipe is as follows...

2 Gallon Boil

3.3 lbs Amber LME
3.3 lbs Light LME
0.75 oz EK Goldings 60 min
0.75 oz EK Fuggles 60 min
0.25 oz EK Goldings 15 min
1.5 oz EK Goldings 5 min

Dry Hopped with .75 oz EKG

I would like to try this style of beer but with a 3 gallon boil instead of 2 (don't know how that changes IBU's and AA's) and wanted to use DME instead of LME.

Can anyone help?

I don't think the boil size will be much of an issue, especially since you didn't list the AAUs of the hops. I think it'll be fine with a slightly larger volume- you're only talking about 1 gallon more.

As far as DME, you could use 5 pounds or 5.5 pounds of DME. 5 pounds would give you 1.044, 5.5 pounds 1.048.

According to the calculator on Tastybrew.com:

Two Gallon Boil, using 6.6lbs of DME:

Stats
OG 1.059
FG 1.015
IBU 35
ABV 5.7 %
SRM 7

Specifics
Boil Volume 2 gallons
Batch Size 5 gallons
Yeast 75% AA

3 Gallon boil:

Stats
OG 1.059
FG 1.015
IBU 42
ABV 5.7 %
SRM 7

Specifics
Boil Volume 3 gallons
Batch Size 5 gallons
Yeast 75% AA

The long and the short of it is this: If you use a three gallon boil, it will be more bitter. 35 IBU vs 42 IBU

If you use DME vs LME it will have a higher alcohol content. YooperBrew's comments on the amount of DME to use are correct and that will changes the bitterness some. However the point is still that on a 3 gallon brew, it will be more bitter.

Gedvondur

I appreciate the help guys. My reasoning for going with a 3 gallon boil vs 2 gallons is that I wanted the beer to come out a little lighter. And I was also going to add the DME as a late addition to keep it light in color.

benxrow2002 said:
I appreciate the help guys. My reasoning for going with a 3 gallon boil vs 2 gallons is that I wanted the beer to come out a little lighter. And I was also going to add the DME as a late addition to keep it light in color.
You're going to add some extract for the boil though aren't you? I wouldn't boil the hops in water and add all the DME at the end.

Gedvondur said:
Total of 6.6 pounds of DME, not 3.3. Two different color extracts. A typo on my part. Sorry.

Gedvondur

Isn't the usual practice to convert 1 lbs LME to 0.8 lbs DME to keep SG, ABV and body/mouthfeel/taste roughly the same?

I do 1.5 gal boils and add only 1 lb of DME to the boil as well as all the bittering hops per the recipes schedule. Boil 45 mins, remove form heat.

Add all remaining malts (add DME 1 lb at a time and dissolve before adding the next lb in) then let streep for 15 mins.

I also place a net over my primary bucket which catches all the hops from going into the bucket.

Then top off to 5.25 gals with very cold water.

Blender said:
You're going to add some extract for the boil though aren't you? I wouldn't boil the hops in water and add all the DME at the end.

Yes.....half the DME up front and the rest with about 15 minutes left in the boil.

Trying to keep all of my extract brews from coming out the same color...LOL

ArcaneXor said:
Isn't the usual practice to convert 1 lbs LME to 0.8 lbs DME to keep SG, ABV and body/mouthfeel/taste roughly the same?

Ya, it is. I was just being sloppy about it and Yooperbrew had already listed out how to do that. I was just showing the bittering differences.

Gedvondur

The late DME addition will also boost your hop utilization. It's a good move on your part (you will get a lighter color *and* can probably save some hops), but you will need to run this through some software. Beer Smith can handle the late malt addition.

With hops at $6/oz and Beer Smith at $20 to register, you'll cover the cost of software quickly.

Back