Recipe Check - hazy, fruity IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bummer

Reaction score
I want to take a stab at a fruity, hazy IPA with medium bitterness and around 6% ABV. I wrote up this recipe based on ingredients I have in stock:

8# Pale
2# Wheat
1# Munich Light
1# Oats
---------------
12# total grain bill

60 minutes infusion mash at 152F

3/4oz Magnum @ 60
1oz Cascade @ 10
1oz Citra @ 0
1oz Mosaic @ 0
3/4oz Amarillo @ 0
--------------
4-1/2oz total hops

60 minute total boil time

Yeast: Safale US-05
Primary Fermentation ambient temperature 62F 8-10 days
Secondary Fermentation ambient temperature 62F 7-10 days

Dry hop schedule in secondary with three days to kegging
1oz citra
1oz mosaic
1oz Amarillo
1oz Zappa
------------
4oz total dry hopping

Let me know what you guys think, thanks!!

I love Munich light in my IPA and NEIPA. I love that hop combo as well. I've never used Zappa though. Is this a NEIPA or west coast style? Looks like west coast hop addition timing and amounts. I'm guessing about IBU in the 60's?

The recipe you posted looks to be more of a NEIPA than a West Coast IPA. US05 will not help with the haziness. If you have S04 use that.
Not saying you cant use US05- just saying it will probably drop clear.

Some of my favorite hazy IPA's have been with US-05, but I prefer a dryer version of NEIPA. I would: mash at 149, skip the cascade and go 1.5 mosaic, 1.5 citra, 1 amarillo at flameout, and ferment at 65.5. but that's just me and my tastes.

I am looking for some basic advice on how to turn a DIPA recipe into a hazy DIPA. The basic recipe (5 gallon) uses 16 lb Golden Promise base malt, and 2.5 lb Caramunich and 0.5lb Aromatic. Hops include Columbus, Challenger, and Falconer's flight. I would like to say that adding oats or wheat would help 'convert' it to a hazy DIPA without affecting the overall flavor profile. Not sure how much to add though. Thanks

Back