Recipe challenge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrumaKeg

Reaction score
I have 1lb of caramel malt (60) and left from last brew 1.7 oz of caramel malt (120). 7 lbs of light dme (muntons) 3 oz of magnum 3 oz of pearle and 1.7 oz of citra. My next door neighbor has a few spare oz cascade. What would you do? I brew tomorrow! Or Sunday if you guys come up with a great idea and the minions (3 year old twin boys who love cooking/brewing of any sorts) allow me. I might just call it minion brew if its a new brew!

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Here's an idea I might try with those ingredients, assuming 2.5 gallon boil and topped up to 5 gallons:

7 lbs light DME (3 in beginning, the rest at flameout)
8oz C60
3/4 lb of sugar (table sugar or turbinado/demerara, just to dry it out. Add at flameout)
1 oz Magnum @ 60 (or 45-ish IBU's)
1 oz Cascade @ 10
1/2 oz Citra & 1 oz Perle @ 5
After flameout, chill to 175 and then add 1 oz each of Cascade and Perle plus 1/2 Citra
Dry hop with 1 oz each of Cascade and Perle, plus the remaining .7oz of Citra 3 days before bottling
Ferment with 05 or other clean ale yeast

That puts you in IPA territory - I'm pretty sure that's what you were looking for based on your other thread. 1.063 OG, 60 IBUs, 8 SRM estimated color, and if the sugar addition helps get you to 80% attenuation you'll be at about 6.5% ABV.

Most helpful. Will the sugar addition will it with too much sweetness?

The sugar will ferment out completely, actually resulting in a dryer beer than if you had used all malt extract. DME is something like 75-80% fermentable, so if you made 2 beers side by side, one using 8 lbs of DME and the other using 7 lbs of DME plus 1 lb of sugar combined, you would actually have more residual sweetness in the beer using only DME.

I had a beer my neighbor brewed a Sierra Nevada ipa clone. It was delicious but had a sweet taste at the end of every sip. Would the substitution for sugar get rid of that? Thanks for the recipes again but took your earlier advice and winged it.

Hard to say without knowing the recipe/process that was used, but sugar has a tendency to help dry out a beer just because it ferments out completely. There could have been other issues causing that particular beer to finish sweet, though.

Back