Recipe advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amandley

Reaction score
I don't have much experience developing my own recipes. Im aiming for a golden ale but this seems like it might end up a bit dark. I want to keep the abv at about 5-5.5.
Any advice is welcome
8lb- 2 row
1.5lb - crystal 20L
1.5lb - carapils

.25oz Galaxy @60
.5oz citra @15
.5oz citra@5
American west coast bry-97

Is this for a 5 gal batch? If it was me I would back drop the crystal to a pound at most, maybe closer to 1/2 pound.
Brewing your own recipes is a bit of trial and error also so brew it, see what you do/don't like about it.
Cheers:mug:

I don't have much experience developing my own recipes. Im aiming for a golden ale but this seems like it might end up a bit dark. I want to keep the abv at about 5-5.5.
Any advice is welcome
8lb- 2 row
1.5lb - crystal 20L
1.5lb - carapils

.25oz Galaxy @60
.5oz citra @15
.5oz citra@5
American west coast bry-97

You have close to 30% crystal malt there which is a heck of a lot. I'd reduce it to 4% max or remove it all together. You could also try going with a simple grain bill like 95% 2 Row and 5% Vienna malt for a traditional take on the Golden ale. I'd mash it low around 149-150 too to get it super dry and crisp.

I'd also drop the crystal to 1/2 lb or less, and increase the 2 row accordingly.

I would do another galaxy addition at flameout/whirlpool. It's a great late hop, and would add some complexity to the citra.

I don't despise crystal malts like a lot of people do, but in this recipe I agree with those who say reduce it to 4% or so. You just don't have the hop profile, imo to counteract that much sweetness. I like rhys333's suggestion best, 95% two row and 5% Vienna would make a nice golden ale. That actually makes me want to brew that one right now.

I am not a huge fan of 1 gallon batches b/c its barely a taste of beer but if I am experimenting...its much cheaper if it dosen't taste good something to think about.

Thanks for all the quick replies! I'll try to mess with it a bit and drop the crystal. The original recipe I based it off of was 7.5 lb 2 row and 1.5 lb crystal. The abv was too low for me so I upped the 2 row and added the carapils. @schatzke- yes it's a 5 gal batch

I don't despise crystal malts like a lot of people do, but in this recipe I agree with those who say reduce it to 4% or so. You just don't have the hop profile, imo to counteract that much sweetness. I like rhys333's suggestion best, 95% two row and 5% Vienna would make a nice golden ale. That actually makes me want to brew that one right now.

I brewed it two weeks ago, fermenting now with the WY Kolsch strain. :mug:

Ok. After your advice and playing with the calculator, I think I'm gonna go with
9lb 2 row
1lb carapils
And adding .5oz Galaxy at flame out
Also debating between the west coast yeast and Safale 04

That's still waaay too much Carapils. A little goes a long way. 1/4 lb max for a 5 gallon batch.

That's what I was worried about when I first posted but everyone seemed more concerned with the crystal. Does the carapils impart too much sweetness? Definitely don't want to end up way malty but I'm having an issue keeping the color light and the abv up

That's still waaay too much Carapils. A little goes a long way. 1/4 lb max for a 5 gallon batch.

The carapils is actually what I was concerned with when I first posted but everyone seemed more concerned with the crystal. Playing with the calculator it seemed if I added more 2 row the color went too dark. I'm trying to keep the color light and the abv up

That doesn't make any sense - it doesn't get much lighter than 2-row. Adding more 2-row should make the beer lighter, not darker. And while I don't think Carapils adds any meaningful colour either, even if it did, adding MORE would not make the beer LIGHTER, it would make it DARKER.

If you want a light color and higher abv I would forget the carapils and crystal. Use 2 row or pale ale malt, and mash lowish.

I see now that I was having some user error on the calculator I was using. I appreciate all your guys help.

I would do: :mug:

95% 2 row
3% crystal
2% carapils

With mash temp right at 150F

Also, I would dry hop with 2oz of Citra or Galaxy

By mashing low you mean high 140,s?

Yeah, high 140's is perfect. It's a good idea to extend your mash time from 60 to 90 minutes though as it takes longer to complete than mid or high temp mashes. Also, your carapils isn't sweet really, but it does add body in the form of unfermentable dextrins and comes across heavy or cloying if you put in too much of it.

Latest posts

Back