Recent kegging experience and questions:

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So my latest batch is "done" that is two weeks in the primary, and today is two weeks in the secondary ( 68 degrees throughout).
I had thought about doing keg conditioning with dextrose but I am just not sold on as to why bother.
So my question now is do I transfer to my keg and let it sit two more weeks at room temp, then 1/1.5 weeks on CO2 or should I just leave in the secondary for two more weeks at 68 ?
I guess my question boils down to will my beer condition "better" in the keg at room temp, or in the secondary at 68?? Third option would be allow the secondary temp to come up.... any thoughts?

Sorry to bump this but I really thought this was a pretty good question... no one can offer any input ?anyone? bueller?

The only reason I would condition in a keg with dextrose is if my kegerator was full with no open taps. This way it has an opportunity to carb up while it awaits it's time in the kegerator. Otherwise I would just leave it in secondary or if there was room, I would keg it up and place it on CO2 on tap

The only reason I would condition in a keg with dextrose is if my kegerator was full with no open taps. This way it has an opportunity to carb up while it awaits it's time in the kegerator. Otherwise I would just leave it in secondary or if there was room, I would keg it up and place it on CO2 on tap

At what temp would you allow the secondary to get up to? I am particularly interested in this as the batches i bottled stayed room temp for three weeks and I thought they "developed" or just tasted better then the batches I kegged and immediately put on CO2 at 39 degrees.

I just leave my secondary at room temp. Sometimes I will cold crash before kegging

So here's the update on my latest batch. A "strong" ale
OG 1.064 FG 1.018 ( 56% attenuation )
3 weeks Primary 6.5 G glass carboy at 68 degrees
3 weeks secondary 5 g glass carboy 68 degrees first 2 weeks then allowed to rise up to 73

Racked to cleaned and sanitized keg yesterday. Purged head space with CO2. Put on 12 psi at 39-41 degrees.

Took a sneak taste today and still getting the sourish taste? So confused right now. The only time this didnt happen is when I bottled and that was a Brewers Best kit, last 3 batches have all been from Midwest and use SAFALE - beginning to wonder if it is safale?
I do full boils and use a copper immersion coil to chill the wort before aerating and pitching. I'm very diligent cleaning and sanitizing. The fermentation occurs in a chamber I built.
:confused:

Anyone have any input? Strange slightly sour "twang" to the beer. Using an immersion coil to chill full boils, sanitize all equipment diligently. ?

UGGH

Anyone have any input? Strange slightly sour "twang" to the beer. Using an immersion coil to chill full boils, sanitize all equipment diligently. ?

UGGH

Are you fermenting at 68 air temp. or ferm. temp.? Saf can throw some funky flavors out at the higher ferm. temps.

Are you fermenting at 68 air temp. or ferm. temp.? Saf can throw some funky flavors out at the higher ferm. temps.

68 degrees per probe attached to side of 6.5 gallon glass carboy. Probe is covered in insulating foil. Fermentation inside closed fermentation chamber.

I have to report back that after 2 days on CO2 the "tart" puckering flavor seems to have disappeared. I have read about "carbonic acid" as a temporary phenomena of carbonating. Unsure if that is what happened here.

Latest posts

Back