Received some yeast from my local Microbrewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toecutter

Reaction score
I have a local pizza parlor/microbrewery. I called up the brewer, and he agreed to give me some yeast off of one his tanks. So I went over and he had an IPA in the tank, and filled my 1 gallon growler off the bottom of the tank. He told me it was Chico Ale Yeast.

So, I am trying to figure out how to use this . He was dry hopping, and its a thick slurry of yeast and hop residue. It smells like Columbus

Should I wash this yeast prior to using ? I wanted to use it in my APA, but I use Amarillo

i'd wash it and build up a brewing starter from the slurry. step it up slowly to ensure you get healthy yeasts. BTW, that's awesome that they gave you some yeast like that, even if it's a common strait like 1056/001. :mug:

i'd wash it and build up a brewing starter from the slurry. step it up slowly to ensure you get healthy yeasts. BTW, that's awesome that they gave you some yeast like that, even if it's a common strait like 1056/001. :mug:

It will take a lot of washing. there is a hell of a lot of hop matter in there.The way it is now, I cant even tell the yeast from the Hops, an I have chilled it for 2 days

It will take a lot of washing. there is a hell of a lot of hop matter in there.The way it is now, I cant even tell the yeast from the Hops, an I have chilled it for 2 days

i'd imagine it's incredibly hoppy. figure the amount of hops that go into a batch of IPA at even the smallest brewpub, it's gotta be a $h!t ton. i know that unless i bag my hops in even a five gallon batch of IPA, the yeast cake is riddled with spent hops material.

It should be fairly easy to wash. Add water, let sit for 10 minutes, decant liquid and repeat sitting and decanting until there's no more solid sediment. The rest will be yeast and water.

Latest posts

Back