Rec: NB Extract Kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCADJockey

ALL YOUR BASE
Reaction score
Hey everyone... I got a couple recipe kits from Northern Brewer for xmas.

- Bavarian Hefeweizen
- Winter Warmer Scottish Ale

The gifters bought the extract kits, I am okay with it but some reviews say at least for the hefe, that the end product was 'lacking'. Therein lies my questions:

1. Does anyone have any experience with these particular kits?

2. Would anyone care to suggest something I could add to either kit, a specialty grain or something?

The hefe is stated to have a quick turn-around. I will cook it up this week in hopes it is ready for SuperBowl. Thanks.

Brewed the Bavarian Hefeweizen many times. I used WY3068. I over pitched the yeast and fermented at 63° to 64°. Over pitching and fermenting cool kept the banana flavor to a minimum and enhanced the clove. Blow off tube required.
You can use the late extract addition technique to keep the color light, I never did and the results were good. Great beer as it is.

Brewed the Bavarian Hefeweizen many times. I used WY3068. I over pitched the yeast and fermented at 63° to 64°. Over pitching and fermenting cool kept the banana flavor to a minimum and enhanced the clove. Blow off tube required.
You can use the late extract addition technique to keep the color light, I never did and the results were good. Great beer as it is.

Excellent, thanks man! I'll have to check what yeast they sent me with it but that ferment temp is perfect for me to work with. I do not have a blowoff tube yet, have never needed it so I'll have to look into it.

Back