Reasons for low FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dierythmus

Reaction score
AG brewer here.

I'm having an issue where I'm consistently getting FGs of around 1.005-1.007. I primarily make ales, so this is concerning to me. Most of my recipes have predicted FGs of 1.010-1.014. I've gotten this with WLP001 and US-05.

I've read that mashing too low can cause more fementable sugar, so I do plan on calibrating my thermometer sometime soon. I also plan on checking my hydrometer to make sure it's accurate.

If these aren't the problem, what other factors would contribute to a low FG? Would fermentation temperature have anything to do with that? I'm manually keeping fermentation temps of anywhere between 60-65 degrees, typically.

AG brewer here.

I'm having an issue where I'm consistently getting FGs of around 1.005-1.007. I primarily make ales, so this is concerning to me. Most of my recipes have predicted FGs of 1.010-1.014. I've gotten this with WLP001 and US-05.

I've read that mashing too low can cause more fementable sugar, so I do plan on calibrating my thermometer sometime soon. I also plan on checking my hydrometer to make sure it's accurate.

If these aren't the problem, what other factors would contribute to a low FG? Would fermentation temperature have anything to do with that? I'm manually keeping fermentation temps of anywhere between 60-65 degrees, typically.

Recalibrating your hydro would be my first step, distilled water at 60!

whats your OG? When I have a lower gravity beer, last weeks batch 1.033 and 1.026 both finished out with 001 and 1056 at 1.006. My ales also typically finish at 1.009.

Mashing at 150 would help with adding more fermentable sugars and pitching correct or over slight about of yeast might help out with dropping your FG that low. Im sure someone here knows more then I and could answer it better than I.

Recalibrating your hydro would be my first step, distilled water at 60!

whats your OG? When I have a lower gravity beer, last weeks batch 1.033 and 1.026 both finished out with 001 and 1056 at 1.006. My ales also typically finish at 1.009.

Mashing at 150 would help with adding more fermentable sugars and pitching correct or over slight about of yeast might help out with dropping your FG that low. Im sure someone here knows more then I and could answer it better than I.

My OG was 1.047 and mashed for 60 minutes @ 152. This was a Mosaic Honey Wheat recipe, so I was hoping it wouldn't end up really dry. The sample I tasted was good, so I'm hoping my thermometer calibration is off a bit (my hydrometer is fine - I just confirmed the calibration).

You could also decide to mash at 154* for a more malty profile, with a slight sacrifice in fermentablility. I also tend to mash for at least 75 minutes. I get better brewhouse efficiency that way.

Mosaic Honey Wheat did you add honey to the boil or fermenter?? Honey will lead to a dryer finish.

Add more grains and bump up your mash temp would help with less fermentable. If your wanting it to finish from a 1.047 to a 1.014or 1.012 I would check your gravity until you reach it. Im going to assume most of your beers are starting out at 1.050 or lower. How much yeast are you pitching and what temp? if you don't mind me asking.

Back