Reason for Cider not clearing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rozzidrozzi

Reaction score
Good Morning folks,

I was just needing to pick your brains of various reasons for cider not clearing,

I started my first 25lt off on the 4th October and racked it last Wednesday after fermentation had finished in to a second 25lt barrel, being very careful to cause no bubbles. Almost a week on and its still thick as mud on the second barrel,

Would racking it again and adding a Campden tablet help with the clearing of it at all?

I have had some success with gelatin clearing as well. 1/4 tsp of gelatin dissolved in 1/4cup water, heated slowly (5-10 second bursts with stirring) for 30-40 seconds. Don’t have an exact temperature for it but not boiling.

Or you can wait longer, it won’t clear on its own in that short of time

Did you use fruit of cloudy store bought cider?

Store bought Apple Juice can clear in a week or so.

I made cider last January with bought Apple Cider, the cloudy stuff. I poured it slowly into the carboy and left behind all the dregs. It's still cloudy. I plan on cold crashing it with gelatin after Thanksgiving.

My Cider always clear over time. I always use pectin enzyme. Some clears faster, some takes longer. I always start with fresh pressed juice from the orchard. Well this last one looks the same after a month as it did day one. And fermentation definitely occurred. It was all organic, no preservatives and spontaneous wild yeast ferment. So could that be why. It’s the one on the left.
IMG_2932.JPG

Latest posts

Back