Really long fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallagherman

Reaction score
I have a golden strong ale (OG 1.072) that I brewed a month ago. It is still in the primary and I still have airlock activity. I am worried. I wanted to bottle this for a competition but I think they dock points for bottle bombs. :p I had a long blow off tube till last night, when I put on a wine airlock (swirly kind). Wonder if that could increase the head pressure and cause more CO2 to dissolve? Has anyone had a 4+ week primary fermentation? The gravity is a little high still: about 1.010 , where I was expecting 1.005-1.007

why are you shooting so low for your FG? to go from 72 to 10 is great attenuation. If you are sitting a 10 you will not have bottle bombs, make sure she ain't green if you are going to enter a comp

Wait until airlock activity stops. I have had a 4 week fermentation on my 1.104 Belgian Dark Strong using the belgian golden yeast. Some of thee larger beers can take MONTHS to reach their FG. BTW, 1.010 is great attenuation if thats accurate.

...BTW, 1.010 is great attenuation if thats accurate.

It is, however my Beer Alchemy brewing software predicts 90.4% attenuation with this yeast (ideal FG being 1.006). I know this style is supposed to be very very dry, so I am hoping to drop a few more points :rockin:

Few yeast strains get to over 90% attenuation. Without simple sugars, I don't know if it's possible to get much lower than where you are. What was the recipe and the kind of yeast you used?

Latest posts

Back