Real Cask (Bucket) Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradleyBrew

Reaction score
So, after traveling to Europe and having "real" cask ale I decided that I had to attempt to replicate this amazing beer via home brew at my house. Only there was 1 problem. I wasn't going to spend hundreds of $$$ to make it happen nor did I want 5+ gallons as the shelf life is not very long maybe a few days. Anyways, take a look at my real bucket ale. Its basically a food grade 2.25 gallon bucket I picked up at the local bakery. My shive is basically a inverted solid bung. I can relieve pressure by simply pressing the bung where it meets the lid. My keystone is simple a ball valve attached to a piece of tubing with a sparkler tip. The stillage angle can be manipulated by simply moving the wedges I made out of door shims. It holds pressure like a champ and after venting I will just remove the wood pieces and obviously the clamps.

Anyways, I spent a lot of time researching how to do this. Basically anything online deals with a corny keg. Well I have 4 corny kegs but wanted to take a different approach. If anyone is interested I am going to vent over the next few days and serve this with some friends while brewing up a Belgian Dubbel. Cheers!

0220131454.jpg

Back