Ready for the Keg, but first a question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BHowe

Reaction score
Guys I have done all sorts of reading and can't seem to find the answer to this. If I missed it, please point me that direction.

I have a NB 1554 clone that has been in primary for 21 days now. I would like to free up the fermenting space. It's a black beer, so I'm not super worried about clarity, however I don't think it's quite ready to drink yet.

Can I move this to a corny to let it age a little more.
When I do move it do I just set the seal with 30psi and leave it, or do I bleed it and then hit it again with say 12?
After this can I throw it back in my fermentation closet to mellow a bit longer, or do I need to get to the carbing and put it in the keezer?

Probably an amateur question I know, but I want it to be right. Everything else I've brewed were done as brews to get into the kegs in a hurry (pale ale, bav hefe) and now since I have my HB fix actually drinkable I can work on waiting a bit with these other brews.

Thanks in advance.

Brandon

I don't really think theres an issue keeping flat beer in a keg for bulk aging as long as the oxygen's been purged and the seal is set. Why not carbonate it the way you want to drink it, then let it hang out in the keg for a week or two? What temp will you be storing it at?

Or you could prime your keg, by the time it's done carbonating it will probably also be at the point where you'd like to drink it.

Are we talkin ale or lager here?

My kegs seal fine at 12 psi so I don't do the 30 psi. But if I did, I would just let leave it at that ans store as usual. Main thing as mentioned was to purge the oxygen out.

My fridge is around 38.

So let me see if I'm clear, rack it to the corny, hit it with co2 to seal, and then I should be good to store it back in my fermentation closet for about a month.
I'll then carb,drink, and smile?

My fridge is around 38.

So let me see if I'm clear, rack it to the corny, hit it with co2 to seal, and then I should be good to store it back in my fermentation closet for about a month.
I'll then carb,drink, and smile?

That's exactly what I do all the time. It's also how I do all my lagering these days.

You've got it! Corny's are great to condition in actually. once you purge the oxygen and have a good seal, there is zero risk of it getting oxygenated over time. It also allows zero light in the beer, which is another big plus. I've aged in my kegs for a month or so with excellent results. I have a friend with a much bigger inventory of kegs and he'll let some bigger beers sit for 6 months to a year in the kegs before tapping.
Run with it!

Back