Read this before you buy from Kegkits.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Giving this thread a bump. Have given up on an order I made with this guy over a month ago. Card was charged within minutes, nothing has been received and he refuses to respond to emails or voice mails. Today I will be filing a complaint with the TX Attorney General's office (my state) as well as the Alabama Attorney General's office. I wish I would've done a search on this guy on this board before placing an order. Lessons learned...

Man, this guy needs to be stopped! He is just running rampant through the HB community ripping people off and has been doing it for a couple years now.

It must be easier to get credit card processing these days than when I started in online retail 10 years ago. Back then it was hard to get an account with someone and then they watched you like a hawk and if you ever had something like 4 active chargebacks they suspended your account until you cleared them up or refunded.

masonjax, thanks for that link. I have filed a complaint with that group as well. I've kissed my $45 goodbye, but hope to help stop him from taking it from others. What a scumbag....

Giving this thread a bump. Have given up on an order I made with this guy over a month ago. Card was charged within minutes, nothing has been received and he refuses to respond to emails or voice mails. Today I will be filing a complaint with the TX Attorney General's office (my state) as well as the Alabama Attorney General's office. I wish I would've done a search on this guy on this board before placing an order. Lessons learned...
Have you filed a contested charge with the credit card company you were charged to? They can hold money from his account. If everyone that has been charged to a credit card and not received their stuff would do this it would put the brakes on quick.

I can't believe this is still going on. By now, a clear pattern is obvious and the authorities involved should have had enough evidence to do something about it.

Didn't read the whole thread but has anybody gotten any feedback from the police on this matter?

I skimmed through it and didn't see anyone who has heard from the authorities. I just filed my complaints yesterday, so it's really too early for me to have heard anything. I will post if I do hear from anyone.

That should piss him off. wonder how ling that post will remain visible. I would assume he is the administrator.

I hope it does. I'm PO'd myself right now, and I didn't get taken for nearly as much $$ as many have been taken for. It just chaps my a$$ that he continues taking people's money and gives nothing in return, and no agency seems to be doing anything about it, even though complaints have been filed. I will be surprised to see that link stay there until nightfall to be honest....

LOL, not only did they obviously remove the message, I've now been banned! I suppose they're going by an IP address, because both my work computer and home computer are banned! That's sweet!

We all appreciate where you guys are coming from, but please do not launch any attacks on that forum from here.

Understand, but I really didn't launch an attack. I merely posted the link to this thread and suggested that folks should read. Maybe I shouldn't have, I understand this is a business too. Oh well, I'm banned from there anyway, so no worries from me!

Not sure why you would be banned. Most of the posts on that site are complaints from people that were ripped off by Tom. I've posted a few warnings there myself.

I had my bank put my money back on my debit card after I told them he had stolen it from me and they did it that day pending an investigation. after 2 weeks they said they hadnt been able to contact him and said I was clear and that they were launching criminal action for mail fraud against him. that was over a month ago and I havent heard anything else but at least I got my money back.

Not sure why you would be banned. Most of the posts on that site are complaints from people that were ripped off by Tom. I've posted a few warnings there myself.

I think because I provided a link to this thread. I posted under their customer service forum, made my subject, "Kegkits & Customer Service - LOL". Then in the body of my post, I told everyone that if they were thinking of ordering from this guy they need to read this. At that point I provided the link. I guess he's getting a little sensitive....

This is a man who obviously does not understand the concept of SUPPLY and DEMAND. He states that:

1) He is too busy to breathe.
2) His prices are the lowest so deal with it.

Here's an idea. HEY TOM. RAISE YOUR PRICES. YOU WILL MAKE MORE MONEY AND HAVE LESS CUSTOMERS! EVERYBODY WINS. Except for the people you will inevitably keep screwing over.

Oh and not sure how many people use this site, it seems pretty new but www.ripoffreport.com is a site you guys might consider filing complaints with as well.

Psst. This is at the top page of the forum.

News: 5/30 - The board now has a new moderator - Brewster - this will free up more time for me to spend catching up orders! - Tom

I imagine things will get better now. NOT!

Well, I've reported this guy to the FBI's internet crime division, the TX attorney general's office, the AL attorney general's office, the Federal Trade Commission and the internet Rip Off website noted earlier in this thread. I will today call my bank and try to get a chargeback on my debit card. I'll update if I hear anything from anyone. (Not holding my breath since this guy just seems to stay in business in perpetuity in spite of his practices).

I placed a small order with Tom Hargrave Sales at Kegkits.com. on Nov 30. to date, Dec 19th, I have called twice and emailed sales twice to no avail. I had experiences like this before. If you gave personal data to this company, I believe that identity could very likely be at risk. I fear the same. To anyone buying brew goods online please be informed that Kegkits is far less than what it "appears" to be.

I think accusing him of potential identity theft is pushing it a little bit too far....

I think not expecting it is not pushing it far enough. Anyone who is dishonest enough to actually take orders, charge your bank account or credit card when he knows that he isn't going to ship the orders is capable of doing any other kind of theft - and yes, taking your money without shipping your goods is theft, pure and simple. So far, I have complained to the TX attorney general office, the Alabama attorney general office, several online fraud companies, and finally, the IRS. I gave them my own example, suggested that they do a simple google search (which I included the search link with multiple complaints across the internet) to find out how many people are being ripped off by this guy. My statement to the IRS was that this guy was likely making a lot of money that wasn't being reported, i.e., he is likely only reporting that the $45 I sent him was only a $4.50 profit, when in fact, it was a 100% profit of $45 since I never have and will never receive any goods for this. So far, I have heard nothing from any of these agencies, but if enough people would start doing this, we might get Mr. Hargrave some unwelcome attention.

Great, someday I will learn to look around for posts like this before I order. After thinking about taking my chances I've decided to canceled the order, of course I've already been billed. Hopefully I get my $$ back in a couple days like the hard to find cancel order page says.

This is what sealed the end of the deal for me. The admin of their site buys elsewhere & likes it because they let you know if somethings out of stock & they don't leave you hanging.

Found in General Comments
| | |-+ You know who's a good online retailer?
-----------------------------
Brewster
Administrator

View Profile Email

Re: You know who's a good online retailer?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 06:26:57 PM »
I use Austin Homebrew,Williams Brewing and More Beer for internet orders. They have flat rate shipping and usually get everything within a week of placing an order. Good thing about them to is that you know when they are out of stock on an item while your shopping and your not left hanging about an item.
--------------------------------------

I don't think this has been posted yet but here is his
F rating from the Better Business Bureaus

BBB Reliability Report for Tom Hargrave Sales

http://www.bbb.org/northern-alabama/business-reviews/beer-home-brewing-equipment-and-supplies/tom-hargrave-sales-in-huntsville-al-900050886

There is a Additional Email Addresses listed on the page, it may be his personal one HintHint

Those are just crazy numbers. 56 reports to the BBB! And of those he ignored close to 40 of the complaints. I wonder what percentage of those ripped off report to the BBB. I bet its not more than 1 out of 5.

If this is not clear evidence of an ongoing criminal enterprise I don't know what is.

Add me to the list. Ordered some Sam Adams bottles, 4 cases. Wont answer emails or phone calls. I filed a dispute, thankfully i used my credit card and not debit card. Bummer.

I was wondering if anyone has done any business with kegkits.com? I get nervous when buying products online, especially if I haven't bought from them before. Just wondering if anyone can give them a positive review.
Thanks.

There have been several negative threads about them, just take a look at the Similar Threads box at the bottom of this page. I haven't used them personally, but nor have I read any strongly positive reviews.

Glad you checked them out before you bought.

If you're looking for a keg setup, check out www.kegconnection.com. I had a great experience buying from them, shipping was reasonable and service was very fast. They are currently running a 'upgrade a 5# to 10#' CO2 cylinder promotion (assuming you have the space).

I found some other posts, all negative. So no go for kegkits. Does anyone have any recommendations for a Wall Mounted multi regulator with a high pressure hose. kegkits.com was the only place that I could find what I need. Here is a picture of what I want. Other items I found only had one regulator.
WallMount3PressureCO2regulator.jpg

It's much easier and cheaper to just use a single regulator on the bottle with a low pressure hose going to a bank of secondary regulators. You just set the primary at the highest pressure you will need.

It's much easier and cheaper to just use a single regulator on the bottle with a low pressure hose going to a bank of secondary regulators. You just set the primary at the highest pressure you will need.

+1.

10char

Don't buy from him online. However, if you're local and can get by his shop when he's open (friday and saturday only) he's actually a really cool/knowledgable guy to talk to.

Don't buy from him online, he's just too busy to be trying to run an online business (he does the LHBS on the side and works fulltime as an engineer). However, if you're local and can get by his shop when he's open (friday and saturday only) he's actually a really cool/knowledgable guy to talk to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back