Re-Using Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TGreen588

Reaction score
Has anyone experimented with re-using their yeast? Ive heard about the method of just pouring a new, cooled wort right on top of the old yeast bed. However I am interisted in saving the actual yeast for later use.
Brew on!

Thanks for your time,
Tom

Some garage sale canning jars and some care is all it takes. In a couple of days I'll be washing a 2nd generation of WLP300. I'm already down to less than the price of dry yeast on this culture, and I learned all that I needed to know from the link provided by beerrific.

I haven't gone to the step of reusing yeast from the bottom of the fermentor. Whenever I make a new batch of beer I just take my starter and pour some of the suspended yeast back into a sanitized whitelabs vial(properly labeled of course!).

I then reuse this vial for future batches. Last week I had a particularly healthy strain of irish red ale, I had most of my fermentation finished in 24hours: O.G. 1.039 to F.G. 1.012!

Welcome Tom. Where are you from?

There are literally thousands of questions and answers under the search button. Just make sure to use more than 3 letters. ;)

I use the vials the yeast comes in. I don't always buy from my local HBS, but if I do they're $7.95.

I usually save 5 vials from each batch (for reuse). From each of those 5 you can get 5 more. That's potentially 31 batches and comes out to $.25 per batch.

I have gone as far as 5th generation, but by then I usually double up on the yeast to make room for fresher stuff.:rockin:

Siphoning off the bottom into a 12oz bottle and capping works for me just great. I usually get about two half bottles full of yeast per 5 gallon batch. I label the bottles with tape so I know the type of yeast and how many generations old it is.

Back