Quantcast

Re-Using Yeast

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

TGreen588

Reaction score
Has anyone experimented with re-using their yeast? Ive heard about the method of just pouring a new, cooled wort right on top of the old yeast bed. However I am interisted in saving the actual yeast for later use.
Brew on!

Thanks for your time,
Tom

cuinrearview

Reaction score
Some garage sale canning jars and some care is all it takes. In a couple of days I'll be washing a 2nd generation of WLP300. I'm already down to less than the price of dry yeast on this culture, and I learned all that I needed to know from the link provided by beerrific.

mr_leetzor

Reaction score
I haven't gone to the step of reusing yeast from the bottom of the fermentor. Whenever I make a new batch of beer I just take my starter and pour some of the suspended yeast back into a sanitized whitelabs vial(properly labeled of course!).

I then reuse this vial for future batches. Last week I had a particularly healthy strain of irish red ale, I had most of my fermentation finished in 24hours: O.G. 1.039 to F.G. 1.012!

homebrewer_99

Reaction score
Welcome Tom. Where are you from?

There are literally thousands of questions and answers under the search button. Just make sure to use more than 3 letters. ;)

I use the vials the yeast comes in. I don't always buy from my local HBS, but if I do they're $7.95.

I usually save 5 vials from each batch (for reuse). From each of those 5 you can get 5 more. That's potentially 31 batches and comes out to $.25 per batch.

I have gone as far as 5th generation, but by then I usually double up on the yeast to make room for fresher stuff.:rockin:

OP
T

TGreen588

Reaction score
Thanks alot! I love this forum!
p.s. Im from Landsdale P.A.

larrybrewer

Reaction score
Siphoning off the bottom into a 12oz bottle and capping works for me just great. I usually get about two half bottles full of yeast per 5 gallon batch. I label the bottles with tape so I know the type of yeast and how many generations old it is.