Re-Using Mogen David Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chipperjones

Reaction score
Hey guys, I had an idea the other day that I could reuse Mogen David 1 gallon bottles for either aging or bottling. Any tips for this? I imagine that the issue I'd be facing is that they're screw caps which don't seal very well. Could I use rubber stoppers and wax for aging 1 or 2 years? What about longer?

Thanks guys! Curious what your thoughts are!

I re-use 750ml screw top bottles for some of my fruit wines and JAOMs... Stuff I don't plan to age for any extended periods...

I also use the 4l Carlo Rossi wine jugs as fermenters... I think it's a #5.5 bung that fits.

So I'm sure you could find a use for the 1 gallon Mogen bottles

When you say "for any extended periods" what do you mean by that? I've been drinking my meads at 12 months every time.

A few months...

I've only made JOAM-like meads.. so I'm drinking mine in less than 6 months usually....

I usually ferment in the 1gal jugs then bottle directly into 750ml screw tops... And then I start drinking them over they next few months.

I sometimes I ferment 5gal of fruit wine in a bucket or carboy then rack into the 1 gal jugs for clearing before bottling.

Back