Re-using grist/barley malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rare

Reaction score
Hey. I'm brewing for 3 years now BIAB style and as every AG brewer have to deal with used malt after brewing. For one year now I have been giving this used barley (and used hops) to a friend which feeds his pigs with it. Now the fishing season is opening and I'm wondering if I could make fishing boilies/loose feed for fish from this material. I've been surfing for the answer If and how could I make this from used malt, but could not find anything except lose feed with not used malted barley. I'm not mad to use fresh malt barley for fish :drunk:. Has anybody tried using used malt for fish bait?
Thanks

rare

Sure,I soak mine a few weeks in water to sour and ferment,then use it for catfish chum,works great

Do you mix it with anything, bread, bran,...? I've put a couple of pounds in fridge and I was thinking of mixing it with bread, corn an so on and make balls. Well catfish is a tricky fish to catch in my coutry because it's not so common and you need a special permission. I'll try use it for carp, bream, rudd,... Hmmm I wonder if used hops would also atractr fish ...

Latest posts

Back