Re-use brew controller in fermentation chamber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walther

Reaction score
I am experimenting with adding a radiator like this to my brew system, in order to control the temperature in the fermentation chamber:
IMG_3295.jpg

My brew system (Grainfather) already has a heating element, temperature control and a pump. By connecting the pump to the radiator, I can adjust the temperature on the Grainfather, and circultate it through the radiator.

IMG_3299.jpg IMG_3305.jpg 20180331T204148.jpg

I haven't got a fancy fermentation chamber to my FastFerment, only a simple sleeping bag, but initial tests seem to work fine. Here the thermostat is set at 32C:

IMG_3326.jpg 20180401T145715.jpg 20180401T145828.jpg IMG_3337.jpg

At the moment I can raise the temperature of 20L(5gal), 2K/h, but expectedly, this rate will decrease.

Screen Shot 2018-04-01 at 17.15.18.png

Last edited:
I’d be concerned about a potential fire hazard or melting of the wall of your Fast Ferm given the proximity to the heat source.

Thanks for the reply,

The water I am circulating is only 32C/90F, so that should be safe.
(if the there is a leak in the system, there is however a danger of the Grainfather boiling dry).

Temperature response curve for 20L (~5 gal), with the Grainfather thermostat at 32C (~90F):

Screen Shot 2018-04-02 at 10.40.45.png

What's the outside temperature? Can you keep temperature of 20c in this setup?

What's the outside temperature? Can you keep temperature of 20c in this setup?

Yes, that is no problem.
In the heating up phase, as shown in the graph, the temperature should be higher in the Grainfather, than the target temperature, as it approaches asymptotically.
When at target temperature, the Grainfather should only be a few degrees above target, but I'll need to experiment a bit more with this. It depends on the insulation of the chamber.
The ambient temperature was 14C/57F in the experiment.

Thank you for the reply,

Latest posts

Back