Re-pitching Roeselare Wyeast???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

inhousebrew

Reaction score
So I've got a six month old flanders red sitting on some roeselare yeast right not and I've decided it's time to rack it to the secondary and make another sour. I'm thinking about a Oud Bruin and was debating pitching it onto the yeastcake but am not sure if that is a good idea or not. A few questions:

Is there still viable brewer's yeast in there after six months?
Should I instead ferment with a neutral strain and pitch to secondary on the yeastcake?

People disagree whether you should ferment with a neutral strain first or go right to roeselare. Since it's a few months old I would put fresh beer on the existing cake but supplement with some fresh ale yeast just to be sure.

6 months = yeast is fine, and you can straight pitch.

Might have a large amount of lacto and pedio, which would take advantage of the wort before the sacc takes off, giving an early start to the souring process.

If it were me, I think I would risk moving the wort onto the cake at around 90 F and insulating the fermenter. Let the souring bugs have some fun for a day before the sacc takes over.

I've repitched 6-month old Roeselare. Twice, and lived to tell about it.

The second beer was better than the first. It got sour just as quickly, which is to say that it was souring after only 2 months. The second one wasn't quite as tart.

The third generation was in a oud bruin, which is a different animal. It was also sour, but the high ABV limited the souring of the bacteria.

All three beers are great. Definitely, reuse this yeast.

Well I guess I am going to go for it. I normally devise my own recipes but this purchase was spur of the moment at Northern Brewer and I picked up their kit which is a low ABV Oud Bruin. Should I dump it on the whole yeast cake?

Wake up dead thread...

I have a two (2) year old Flanders Red sitting on top of Roeselare Blend (brew session 8/12/2012). Can I re-pitch it into another Flanders or oud bruin without worry? Or should I consider purchase of another fresh smack to supplement things?

Depends on what final product you want. I've reused roselare up to 10 generations. it doesn't get any better after 4 or 5. If I were you, and you're going to let a beer sit for a year or so, toss in a new package to be safe. It's only $7.

I've made it a habit of re-pitching "clean" stains with success. This is one of my older wild beers I've brewed where I have considered re-pitching. I've seen folks re-pitch wild yeast with greater souring/funky impact on subsequent generations. There is no info on how long you can wait to re-pitch from the primary (maybe I missed this). I tend to leave brett infused beers many months to feast on the cells esthers and phenols. This brett/sour/clean culture will be interesting on the second go-around. I'll be sure to grab another smack pack an supplement.

Latest posts

Back