Re pitch -- Re aerate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Razorbrew

Reaction score
I am brewing a Belgium Strong. And the fermentation has stalled at 1.06. I am going to repitch some washed WL 530 yeast on it. Do I need to re-aerate as well?
It has been over a month since I brewed.

Target OG 1.09 (actual 1.12)
Target FG 1.01
Stalled at 1.06 (about 8% alcohol now)

Suggestion appreciated.

Thanks!

if you make a starter you don't need to re-areate.

how long has it been since you first pitched? what has been your fermentation temperature? what is your recipe? what makes you think fermentation has stopped?

What temps are you fermenting at? I usually wait until the warmer months of summer before I start most belgians. If you don't have your beer around 75F, then I'd suggest moving it to a warmer area and swirling the bucket/carboy a little bit to get the yeast back into suspension. If that doesn't do the trick, you may want to re-pitch.

What temps are you fermenting at? I usually wait until the warmer months of summer before I start most belgians. If you don't have your beer around 75F, then I'd suggest moving it to a warmer area and swirling the bucket/carboy a little bit to get the yeast back into suspension. If that doesn't do the trick, you may want to re-pitch.

+1 I have found that raising the temp and swirling will usually give the existing yeast the kickstart needed to finish.

Found the recipe on HBT (see below) It had been fermenting around 70-72. Have been checking the gravity with a refractometer. Hasn't changed in a while. I re-pitched earlier and added a little yeast nutrient and Amylase Enzyme. Don't have a way to increase temp.

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll post progress in a couple of days.

All-Grain - Belgian Dark Strong Ale, HBT Contest Winner, 18E
Batch Size (Gallons): 8
Original Gravity: 1.090
Final Gravity: 1.010
IBU: 33.2 ibu
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90
Color: 18.6 srm
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): starting at 65, increasing to 75 over 7 days
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 9 months @ 75 degrees
Tasting Notes: it is outstanding in my eyes

This one scored a 41 in the 2009 HBT comp and tied for 1st in the 18A-E class. It ended up at 10.5% and is extremely smooth. I was very impressed for my first attempt at a true belgian.

21.8 lbs pilsner malt
.8 lb cara pils malt
.6 lb aromatic malt
.4 lb special B malt
.25 lb chocolate rye malt
1 oz Magnum 14% for 90 minutes
.8 oz hersbrucker 3.3% for 15 minutes
.4 oz hersbrucker 3.3% for 2 minutes
.25 tsp seeds of paradise for 2 minutes
3.6 lbs amber candi sugar approx 25 srm. added with 15 minutes left in boil. made per the instructions onhttp://www.franklinbrew.org/brewinfo/candi_sugar.html
1 lb turbinado sugar approx 10 srm. added with 15 minutes left in boil.
1 tbsp of 5.2 stabilizer
1 whirlfloc tablet with 10 minutes left in boil
Mash at 149 for 75 minutes. Double batch sparge. approx 7 gal pre boil.

You've got to be careful when adding Amylase Enzyme post boil. Some enzyme powders are not sterile (perhaps all?) and can lead to infection if you don't pasteurize right after fermentation. I've used it twice (during fermentation) and both times there seemed to be phenolic flavor and aroma.

Adding actively fermenting yeast should get it going again, especially if you used the Enzyme.

You've got to be careful when adding Amylase Enzyme post boil. Some enzyme powders are not sterile (perhaps all?) and can lead to infection if you don't pasteurize right after fermentation. I've used it twice (during fermentation) and both times there seemed to be phenolic flavor and aroma.

Adding actively fermenting yeast should get it going again, especially if you used the Enzyme.

Thanks! I didn't know that. Unfortunately, I added the enzyme yesterday. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Back