Re-pitch dry yeast for bottle condition?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JustTegIt

Reaction score
I just brewed a partial mash IIPA with an OG of 1.100 using Wyeast 1098 British Ale. I am guessing the FG will be in the 1.025 range if I get 75% attenuation. This will be 10%ABV - the upper limit of Wyeast 1098 according to Wyeast.

For those with experince with high gravity brewing - do you think it is a good idea to re-pitch a dry yeast like Safbrew T-58 before bottling? I'd rather not introduce the possibility of off flavors if I don't have to.

Alternatively, I could save some of the trub from primary in the fridge and pitch it back in during bottling - but there is still the issue of the 1098 strain potentially being above their tolerable alc limit.

I have re-hydrated and added yeast about 3 days before bottling... the yeast undergo the same life cycle when introduced to wort / beer so if there are any fermentable sugars remaining you would want the new yeast to consume those before entering the bottle with the bottling sugar. Also be cautious because as you know yeast have different att. rates which can potential cause bottle bombs. I would just re pitch the same yeast as you fermented with... they will be much more up to the challenge to carbonate your beer because they are not as "worn" from fermentation.

i have re-hydrated and added yeast about 3 days before bottling... The yeast undergo the same life cycle when introduced to wort / beer so if there are any fermentable sugars remaining you would want the new yeast to consume those before entering the bottle with the bottling sugar. Also be cautious because as you know yeast have different att. Rates which can potential cause bottle bombs. I would just re pitch the same yeast as you fermented with... They will be much more up to the challenge to carbonate your beer because they are not as "worn" from fermentation.

+1

Back