Re- done Black IPA Please critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywit

Reaction score
Here it is please critique and let me know any thoughts. This is my first go at this style add have been working on this recipe for awhile. Thanks in advance.

11lbs 2 row
12 oz crystal 60
10 oz dehusked carafa III
8 oz flaked oats
4 oz choc. malt

1oz columbus 60
1oz cascade 45
1oz EKG 15
1oz cascade 5
.5 oz EKG 0
.5oz EKG dry hop 7 days
.5oz cenntenial dry hop 7 days

Safale 05 or WLP 001

Looks pretty good. Not sure about the flaked oats? Are you going for more body and mouthfeel? Other than that I like it. Also I'm assuming all hop additions are pellet.

Personally I'd move the cascade 45 to later, maybe 15 or so. Up the colombus to compensate. Looks good though!

I brewed a black IPA last weekend and I had some good advice from Yooper and Remman. I had originally planned to use a pound of Carafa III, but Yooper deterred me and said that was going to be overkill. So I backed it off to 1/2 pound right before measuring out my grains and Yooper was spot on. I'm not sure you would see any benefit from the extra grains. In your case, I'm not sure that 4 oz. of grains makes a big difference in the scheme of things. I just figured I would share what I was told in regards to my Black IPA recipe.

I use 3/4lb of carafaIII in my black IPA but I only add it to the mash for the last 15 minutes. This turns it very black and only adds a slight roasty note at the back of the beer.

Thanks guys. I had this great Black IPA in Tacoma and it was really silky and smooth so thats why I added the flaked oats. Yes they are all pellet hops and I will move the 45 min addition. Thanks for all the input!!!

Nice I think it is an interesting addition. CDA's are kind of a cross between a porter and an IPA so it does make sense. Let us know how it comes out.

I use a pound of carafa III and a few ounces of black patent in mine. I like it to be essentially a schwarz meets IPA with a strong play between roast and hops. It depends where you are going with the style though, an IPA that's black or a black IPA.

Not sure chocolate or black malt has a place in a IBA. Maybe that's the difference between a india black ale and a CDA. CDA being more like a hoppy porter and a IBA being more like a IPA that is just dark instead of pale. ?
Personally I like the oat idea to give it a try. If you want a hoppy porter keep the chocolate malt.

CDA and black IPA are the same just a different name. So the Carafa III and Caramel would be all you would use to darken? Seems like that would make a dark amber and not a black beer.

When i put the recipe into my beer calculator it puts the SRM at 33. That should put it at almost black. I figure I will just brew it and see how it turns out.

Latest posts

Back