RE: Can you cork carbonated cider w/ standard wine corks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rtogio

Reaction score
Hey guys!

I was wondering, if I'm planning on bottling my cider in wine bottles, is it possible to cork carbonated (but not sparkling) cider with standard #9 corks?

For what it's worth, I don't have any cider in the works now. I'm just doing some research.

Depends on where you are looking at. Sparkling and carbonated are the same. If you're looking at lower levels of carbonation, it is possible. There are some wineries that have some slightly carbonated wines in standard wine bottles and standard corks.

Higher carbonation is mostly a no.

If you are using champagne bottles and cages, you can cork carbonated wine. With standard #9 corks, they will pop out with any carbonation if you're lucky. If you're unlucky, the bottles will blow up as wine bottles aren't designed to hold any pressure.

Thanks for the clarification.

I definitely only want a low carbonation in my cider.

Martinelli bottles are technically champagne bottles, correct?

Thanks for the tip. I guess I'm going to have to figure out how to get some champagne corks an cages.

Yes, martenelli is more of a champagne style bottle and can hold some pressure.

Regular wine bottles can only have a tiny amound. Like a hint of bubbles.

Back