Rauchbier schmeckt ja gut! - smokey goodness

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gallagherman

Reaction score
I had wrote off Rauchbier, or smoked beer, after I tried a local brewpub's take on the style. It was awful, like sour old smelly cheese. I therefore decided that all Rauchbier was terrible and it never entered my life again... until the other night at an excellent establishment near me called The Publick House. I saw they had one type of Rauchbier, Schlenkerla and for some reason (possibly due to the Gulden Draak and the Celebrator) I ordered one. I was expecting to not even finish it. However when I first sipped it my eyes lit up and my tongue began to dance. The combination of the smoke and malt was truly unique and delicious, I was so surprised. I am now a convert. Does anyone else share my experience and has anyone tried to brew this amazing style? Let me know what your guys think!

I've made a couple of smoke beers over the years. I tried one with 1# of smoke malt and another with 4#. For my tastes, the second one had a bit too much smoke character and the first had not quite enough, so I guess somewhere in between would be a good bet. It isn't that hard to overdue it with a smoke beer; a little goes a long way.

The best recipe I've found is
99% Weyermann Smoked malt(NOT PEATED MALT)
01% Carafa special 2

It should have lager yeast, but I've tried it with US 05 fermented at 60-62 and it was really good

Back