Rauchbier help (first orig recipe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uofmguy

Reaction score
This is actually the first recipe I made my own, so I would appreciate any feeback!

I actually posted an early version of this asking for tips (and got some great ones). Just wanted to see if anyone had any tips before going to buy everything!

Partial Mash
5 Gallon Batch
2 lbs light DME (24% grain bill)
2 lbs Weyermann's smoked malt (24% gb)
3 lbs Munich (35% gb)
1.5 lbs Vienna (18% gb)

1.5 oz Vanguard pellets 60min (24 IBU)
0.5 Vanguard pellets 30min (6 IBU)
0.5 Vanguard pellets 3min (1 IBU)

WL029 German Ale/Kolsch Yeast (fermented at lower end of fermentation range)

Help with this problem please!
beersmith is saying that I'll have 30 IBUs and Brewtarget is saying that I'll have 46 IBUs.... I definitely want it as 30 IBUs. I don't want to make a German IPA (at least not right now....) I want it nicely balanced, maybe a touch more on the malty side than hoppy...

Other concerns of mine are:
Too much hop flavor?
How do the grains look?
I want smoke flavor, but not too much. How's 24% of the grain bill?

Thanks for the help guys! I appreciate it!

For ibus you need to look at bu:Gu for an accurate measurement of what is acceptable. Also, double check the amount of aa's the hops have. Beersmith and maybe brew target only have rough estimates.
Lastly, I'm not sure of the profile for rauchbiers but 24% of the grist seems high. Hopefully someone else can comment on that. Also you can look on beersmith cloud and see what percentage most rauchbiers have.

Awesome. Thanks for introducing me to bg:gu! It runs it at exactly .5 so I guess I'm good... pending what the actual AA are, as you said.

Also, I've looked around, and 25% smoked malt is actually a bit on the low side.

But seriously, thanks for the bu:gu :mug:

Back