Raspberry wine results (hint: it's awesome)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pendragon524

Reaction score
I started a raspberry wine on 11th October, 2020, and finally bottled it yesterday. My recipe was as follows:
  • Six pounds of organic raspberries (because I'm better than you)
  • 2 lbs. white sugar
  • 0.5 tsp. pectic enzyme
  • 3/4 gallon of water
And that's it! Raspberry wine just like God intended. Two weeks out, it went totally dry, sitting at 0.990. At this point, it tasted like the wine version of a sour beer. Absolutely unique, but not something I wanted to drink. I posted around on various home brewing outlets online, asking what could be done to remedy such a pucker-inducing wine, and the general consensus was that, sadly, nothing could be done. I should have made the wine with only 2 lbs. of raspberries; six would inevitably impart far too much acid. Moreover, when I asked if back sweetening might balance out that acidic kick, the answer was that it would be woefully insufficient.

Well, they were wrong. I added 6 ounces of sugar at bottling (along with potassium sorbate and metabisulfite because I'm not one of those 'no chemicals' hippies), bringing the gravity to 1.008. I cannot tell you what a transformation that little bit of sugar wrought. The wine was simply delicious, especially for being so young. It was tart, semi-sweet, well-rounded, and simply tasty as f**k. I got five bottles out of the batch, giving two to my friend Ashley. I now plan to hang on to those bottles for a year before I pop one open to see what age does to them.

Anyway, just thought y'all might like to hear about my success story! It's one of my first brews that I'm truly proud of.

IMG_2882.jpg

That's awesome! The last and best wine I made was a concorde wine from homegrown grapes. When you make something truly amazing it's really special because it's usually something unique that cannot be had anywhere else!
I would say age degrades the flavor but ymmv. I just opened my last bottle of concorde, and while it was still very good it lacked the subtle flavors of fresh fruit.
Congratulations on a good batch!!!!!

I made raspberry wine a few years ago! Very unique, but mine wasnt as red as yours! I had that and a mead and a strawberry wine in the closet...and it got a bit warm..
After aging around 6 months it was pretty good!

That's awesome! The last and best wine I made was a concorde wine from homegrown grapes. When you make something truly amazing it's really special because it's usually something unique that cannot be had anywhere else!
I would say age degrades the flavor but ymmv. I just opened my last bottle of concorde, and while it was still very good it lacked the subtle flavors of fresh fruit.
Congratulations on a good batch!!!!!
You know, I’ve heard anecdotally that concord wine doesn’t age well. Not sure why! Most other wines get better with age. But yes, it’s always exciting to make something you’re proud of!

I made raspberry wine a few years ago! Very unique, but mine wasnt as red as yours! I had that and a mead and a strawberry wine in the closet...and it got a bit warm..
After aging around 6 months it was pretty good!
That’s awesome! I’m hoping it just keeps getting better!

Back