Raspberry-Mixed Berry Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CelticBard77

Reaction score
Hey All....

New to brewing but have found this page inspirational. Currently have 2, 5 gallon Batches of Liquid Apple Pie mead Bubbling away and will be moved to secondary shortly. Have Edworts Apfelwein going as well in a 5 gallon Carboy I started two days ago and everything is going well.

My problem is this...hoping someone can help. Just needing some input or ideas. I have a 5 Gallon Raspberry type Cider I made up...

4 Gallons Unsweetened Apple Juice (not from Concentrate, Sunripe)
1 Gallon Cranberry Juice
2 Concentrate Cans, Mixed Berry
3lbs Frozen Raspberry
Beer yeast (Generic from LHBS)

Coming along great and the yeast are active. Smelling amazing and its only been 2 days, Airlock bubbles chuggling along like mad and putting others to shame (all others using EC 1118).

My problem is that I filled it a bit too much. Same as the others but with the Foam (Kraussum??) thats built up (some bubbles Plum Sized) its spilling over into the Airlock. I am replacing it 2x a day so far with the other since its clogging and pressure building a tad.

Any suggestions on how to prevent this?? I'd prefer not to Siphon out part of the liquid already going if possible, but will if not other solution is apparent.

My other idea was to leave the bung in Place and use a Ghetto style Airlock using Aluminum Foil I read about on the intro page. Forget the guys name but he had done about 200 gallons of fermentation without using conventional water air lock. Figured I could leave on aluminum one for a few days till it settled down with C02 production and then put back on the reg Water Air lock.

Any Ideas? I can toss up some pics if it helps but yea...its clogging up the Airlock so Gasses are building up and stopping them from being released like normal.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank you from a Newbie Brewer with fond hopes for some good Cider =)

-CelticBard
:confused:

Almost forgot... added 1lb White Sugar and 1lb Brown cane Sugar to it during initial mix

Back