Raspberry Melomel BOMM

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buzzerj

Reaction score
Started an Orange Blossom BOMM today. Looking to make a Raspberry Melomel BOMM by adding raspberries to the secondary. But at the start it's a traditional BOMM.

1 gallon of still Raspberry Melomel BOMM

Target O.G. = 1.080 F.G = 0.995 % ABV = 11.2%

2.5 lbs. Orange Blossom Honey (La Luz Honey - Valley Center
Produce $12.99 for 3 lbs.)
1 Tsp. Pectic Enzyme at must preparation
0.25 Tsp. Potassium Bicarbonate (KHCO3) at must preparation
0.5 Tsp. Fermaid K at must preparation
0.25 Tsp. DAP at must preparation
0.5 Tsp. Fermaid K at 1/3rd sugar break (~1.073)
0.25 Tsp. DAP at 1/3rd sugar break (~1.073)
0.5 Tsp. Fermaid K at 2/3rds sugar break (~1.035)
0.25 Tsp. DAP at 2/3rds sugar break (~1.035)
Activated Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong Ale yeast smacked for 2 hours+
Purchased Arrowhead spring water to one gallon
12-18 oz. frozen raspberries

Honey was crystalized and gritty. I used a 3 lbs. quart jar of Orange Blossom honey. Needed to stir it up with a butter knife to get it to flow. I put just less than 2.25 lbs.of honey in. Hard to get an O.G. reading – looks like 1.080ish. Everything was shaken well so it's very oxygenated. Added the Wyeast 1388 yeast after a couple hours. It's just over one gallon to start. Planning to secondary this in a sanitized 2 gallon bucket with frozen/thawed raspberries in a muslin bag for a week with some strategic squeezing. Following that, the plan is to rack back into a sanitized one gallon glass jug to age. Everything worked well thus far. Any comments?

Orangle Blossom Mead BOMM.jpg

Sounds good. Raspberries can sometimes give tannins that need a bit of aging and/or sweetness to round out. If not taken out after a few weeks, the tannins can get rather harsh. Save some honey to backsweeten.

In addition, don't be afraid to add honey up to 1.12 upfront. I routinely do this with my BOMMs with no issue.

Better brewing through science!

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

Thank you Bray. Agreed. I am not going to push any raspberries more than a week, shouldn't have to. More worried about potential for oxidation. And the plan will be to sweeten afterwards. What's raspberry without some sweetness? Don't want it too dry. I wanted to start out with less ABV and check it out. I've made meads that were stronger but they took a long time to age. And that's definitely not the idea here.

Turning out to be a lot of fun and now I have enough 1388 yeast built up for three more gallon BOMM batches. Hitting the secondary bucket with 24 oz. of raspberries for a week. Then will rack back into a gallon glass jug to clear, sweeten up and bottle. Such a well behaved fermentation and it's clearing nicely now. I heartily recommend everyone try a small batch BOMM when you're getting into it. And it's a great way to make a Yeast Starter for successive batches.

Adding a photo at one month after letting it sit on raspberries for a week. The tannins did come in showing a final tartness. Will sweeten this further in the coming weeks. But the raspberry nose and color is sure there. This looks to be coming out well.

Raspberry Melomel 030115.jpg

Sounds good. Raspberries can sometimes give tannins that need a bit of aging and/or sweetness to round out. If not taken out after a few weeks, the tannins can get rather harsh. Save some honey to backsweeten.

In addition, don't be afraid to add honey up to 1.12 upfront. I routinely do this with my BOMMs with no issue.

Better brewing through science!

See my Current Mead Making Techniques article here:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/current-mead-making-techniques.html

Hey Bray! I am thinking of this for my first batch of Mead! I was wondering, because I would like to do at least 2 gallons, if I could make a starter with the 1388, and split amongst the two gallons?

I will probably leave one as a traditional Mead, and the other try for the raspberry or blackberry melomel. I appreciate any advice you have to offer!

Back