Raspberry Mead/Braggot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am attempting to make my first batch of mead/braggot and came up with the following recipe for a 5 gallon batch trying to recreate a local brewery's product:
3.3 lb can of Extra Light LME
14 oz of Extra Light DME
4 lb Clover Honey
San Diego Super Yeast

I boiled the extract for 50 minutes, added the honey and boiled for another 10 minutes. I pitched the yeast let it ferment for two weeks.

I racked to secondary and I added:
1 lb Vintners Harvest Raspberry Puree
1 lb Vintners Harvest Blackberry Puree

I noticed that I have more bubbles appearing in the airlock which indicates more fermentation. My OG was 1.061 and my SG when I racked to secondary before adding the fruit puree was 1.01. That gives me an ABV of 6.45-6.68 depending on the calculator you use. I am planning on 2 weeks secondary (and am about 3 days into it)

I am wondering if the fruit will add much additional alcohol, and if so is there a way to calculate how much? I've looked at numerous forums to try to figure it out and have just confused myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is only the 3rd batch of brew I have made, and my first attempt at a braggot/mead.

Ack! don't boil honey!!!

Ok, that said. I have noticed that yeast loves raspberries. Unless I backsweeten, I will have a dry mead.

Also, plan for a longer secondary. I would expect it to settle out over the course of a few months. THEN you need to be patient and age it at least 6 months.

I haven't done any braggots but from a Mead, This is what I would expect.

I have no idea on how much alcohol will come from the fruit but since you are using a super yeast, expect it to go completely dry.

Matrix

Back