Raspberry Eisbock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nick4228

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm trying to make a beer along the lines of Kuhnhenn's Raspberry Eisbock, which, for those of you that have never had/ heard of it, is a 15.5% eisbock with this wonderfully jammy, fairly sweet flavor. I can do the eisbock part of this, but I just don't have enough experience fruiting beers to know how much to add to get a very raspberry "jammy" flavor. Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

The Kuhnhenn Eisbock has a very real, full, jammy flavor to it. I've worked with artificial flavorings before, and this doesn't have that feel to me. So I'm guessing they use real fruit. Also, being such a highly regarded beer (97 on BeerAdvocate, 100 on RateBeer) I assume they're not opposed to dumping a TON of fruit into it, which I assume it'd need.

I'd look at some of the other raspberry beers in the recipes sections. The base beer for a true Eisbock is a German Doppelbock recipe, but really any strong ABV beer can be used for a base beer. For example. Hair of the Dog uses a Scotch ale as the base beer for Dave.

You could be using anywhere from a pound to twenty pounds depending on how much raspberry you want in that beer. Remember that when you ice concentrate the beer, you will be intensifying flavors, so perhaps a lighter to medium hand on the fruit addition would be a good approach. Personally, i'd rather drink an Eisbock with a better balance to it rather than liquid jam, meaning i'd want the flavor there but not overwhelming everything else.

I have made a Raspberry Wheat with both artificial and natural raspberries. My biggest take away is that 1 gal to 1 pound of real raspberries will give you a medium raspberry flavor that is more tart/sour with a low seed flavor. The 4 oz to 5 gallons of artificial flavoring was cloingly sweet. That may be your jam like flavors.

Thank you both! Super helpful answers and a great place to work from, I really appreciate it

Hi All,

I'm trying to make a beer along the lines of Kuhnhenn's Raspberry Eisbock, which, for those of you that have never had/ heard of it, is a 15.5% eisbock with this wonderfully jammy, fairly sweet flavor. I can do the eisbock part of this, but I just don't have enough experience fruiting beers to know how much to add to get a very raspberry "jammy" flavor. Any advice would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

Did you end up making this beer? I just learned about Eisbock and this seems like a great beer to start with.

Back