Raspberry Dubbel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 141939

Reaction score
I brewed a raspberry dubbel 1.5 weeks ago and am gearing up to transferring it to secondary keg with some raspberries.

I have 5 pounds of frozen raspberries to use which I will crush and pasteurize before adding. Anybody have suggestions on how many of them to use? All of them? Half?

I want some raspberry flavor to come through but don't want the beer to get terribly tart. Was thinking about maybe 2.5 - 3 pounds, since I am doing it in a keg, might not be able to get a full 5 gallons of beer in there. So it might end up being like 4.5 gallons of beer + whatever I put in for raspberries.

The dubbels OG was 1.065. Haven't check FG yet. It was Jamils dubbel from his brewing classic styles book.

Depends on how much raspberry flavor you want. I like using about 10 lbs per 5 gallons in Framboise, but double that in meads. Cantillon uses about 11 lbs/5 gallons in Rose de Gambrinus.

Frozen raspberries make quite a mess as they are. Trying to sanitize and crush is probably pointless. Thaw them and dump them in. The fruit pulp itself will pretty much turn to mush and settle on its own. I usually use a sanitized grain bag for the fruit and use a bucket for easy removal.

Oh boy. So you don't think adding 5 pounds raspberries to 4 - 4.5 gallons of dubbel would be overkill? I'm leaning towards using all 5 pounds now.

Just gonna dump the raspberries in a pot and pasteurize. I'm kind of infection prone, plus in my head, a slightly cooked raspberry flavor in a dubbel seems just fine.

Just gonna dump the raspberries in a pot and pasteurize. I'm kind of infection prone, plus in my head, a slightly cooked raspberry flavor in a dubbel seems just fine.

IMO I wouldn't bother. your adding a step that probably isn't required.
If you qorried about wild yeast, crush a campden tablet in your raspberries, and leave overnight or for a few hours, then rack on top. the campden tablet will kill any unwanted wild yeasties in your raspberries.

definitely use all 5 lbs.

something also to consider..... adding brettanomyces (if you really are paranoid about an infection - you might as well add it yourself. :fro:
I've actually got a Dubbel in Secondary now, with a nice pellicle, its been sitting 5 months o nthe brett, and its gettign a nice cherry pie to it now.

Yes I thought about the campden tablet. Thanks for he input. Will plan on adding the full five pounds.

Back