Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
FB_IMG_1626630929737.jpg

The last nestling under our deck to leave this year, this one from the second batch of eastern phoebes.
It's been grooming itself heavily the last few days and seeing the wings now nicely full I'm pretty sure it'll be gone in the morning...

1626807868769.png

[edit] I watched the youngster screw together enough courage to leave the nest this morning, joining Mommy in a nearby spruce. Good luck to the little one, our area is lousy with broad wing and red tail hawks...

Last edited:
To continue the bird theme, found this on the ground near a atlas pine. Not sure what kind of birds nest it is/was but I wish I had put something near it to give a reference to it's size because it was much larger than the pic might suggest.
View attachment 736283
View attachment 736284

The first thing that popped into my head is that it could be a Baltimore oriole nest, but after looking at my wife's copy of 'Field Guide To North American Birds', it seems orioles usually aren't found in your area of the US.

The first thing that popped into my head is that it could be a Baltimore oriole nest.
Not sure there are Baltimore orioles here but I have seen some sort of oriole on rare occasions. I was sort of thinking it might be a humming bird nest as we have quite a few of those around and I have seen them collecting spider webs.

Hummingbird nests are quite tiny - judging by the pic with the hand I'd say that nest is far too large.
I have seen similar nests hanging here but have not been able to associate them with a specific bird...although looking around it does appear oriole might be a likely candidate...

Cheers!

And now, for something completely different:

"Photographer Angus James was fortunate enough to capture this shot. He said: "As I was pulling my lure from the fish to release back into the water I noticed two little eyes looking back at me from inside the fish's mouth. After capturing this picture, the little green tree frog leaped straight past my head onto the nearest tree. It was one of the coolest things I have seen in my life! This is one lucky frog!"

1626903975916.png

To which Excellent Frog responds:

1626904165896.png

:D

Hummingbird nests are quite tiny - judging by the pic with the hand I'd say that nest is far too large.
I have seen similar nests hanging here but have not been able to associate them with a specific bird...although looking around it does appear oriole might be a likely candidate...

Cheers!
Did some googling, new guess is this the bird. I see hordes of them bouncing around bush to bush and it says they make hanging nests.

1626906785229.png

Bushtit Overview, All About Birds, Cornell Lab of Ornithology

Another strange palm tree. I took this pic in Guyana, but I have seen smaller versions here in Mozambique. Never seen anything like this in the states. For lack of knowledge, I call it a fan palm.
View attachment 736396

The white guy staring at it is my boss.

9535-79-i_antiqued-lace-hand-fan92d0f9a3e1ff7c10e3833f381d19a829.jpg

@Dave Sarber The first palm is a Fox Tail Palm, the "side branch" is the inflorescence which will eventually flower and make huge red seeds.
The second is a Traveler's Palm, actually in the Bird of Paradise family. I have multiples of both in my yard...I live in South Florida.

Hang in there, brother! Cheers, Rick

Back