Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This style nutcracker is absolutely awesome. Brazils don't stand a chance. Hazels don't fly across the room. Meats don't get completely crushed. My hand doesn't cramp.

20231126_111739.jpg

This style nutcracker is absolutely awesome. Brazils don't stand a chance. Hazels don't fly across the room. Meats don't get completely crushed. My hand doesn't cramp.
View attachment 834869
Cool.
Bonus points for the spikes that give it a "medieval torture device " vibe.

When my kid were around 4 and 6 we visited the inlaws in France. The kids asked why they were raising so many rabbits I explained that in France people like to eat rabbits… We ate a lot of rabbit that summer.
Part of me thinks yea, kids should know where food comes from, and another part of me seems a tad shocked that that children that age were not just a little bothered by MIL dispatching the bunnies. I have the impression that the whack on the head happened in front of them? Of course, I did have a pet rabbit growing up, and I’ve also enjoyed hasenpfeffer, but accept for fish I’d likely be more of a vegetarian if I had to harvest other flesh myself.

Part of me thinks yea, kids should know where food comes from, and another part of me seems a tad shocked that that children that age were not just a little bothered by MIL dispatching the bunnies. I have the impression that the whack on the head happened in front of them? Of course, I did have a pet rabbit growing up, and I’ve also enjoyed hasenpfeffer, but accept for fish I’d likely be more of a vegetarian if I had to harvest other flesh myself.
Dispatching rabbits is about as clean a kill as possible; the chop to the back of the neck breaks it, so there’s no blood or sounds from the rabbit. I would rather do a rabbit than anything, but I have done many other critters. Once they are designated for the dinner plate, I really don’t have a problem with them fulfilling their purpose. I know many folks don’t see it that way, and that’s ok, too.

Yeah, childhood memories of gramma grabbing the chicken by the feet, swinging it around her head 4-5 times and then smashing the chicken head on the front steps kinda stayed with me.
I ‘spect so! Maybe she was trying to make a point; don’t mess with gramma. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Yeah, childhood memories of gramma grabbing the chicken by the feet, swinging it around her head 4-5 times and then smashing the chicken head on the front steps kinda stayed with me.
My mom told accounts of being sent to the yard as a teen to catch and lop the head of a chicken off. I don’t recall all the details but her old aunt typically did the kil, um dispatching and old enough kiddos the plucking, or help with that task. Life on the farm in the way back machine.

They had a baby sitter whose husband raised and slaughtered hogs. I picked up the kids on day and he had just skinned a hog. The kids were taking turns touching the freshly dead pig to watch the muscles ripple at each touch. Strange, but both of our children turned out very normal. I think staying in France at a farm was very beneficial, they learned the connection between critters and food. And they enjoyed food that few Americans would eat, blood sausage, hearts and lungs in red wine sauce, and all sorts of wild game.

It's that time of year again 😡

View attachment 835225

One of the Twelve Things I Hate About Christmas, to be sure.

I've also mostly switched to LEDs

I've also always been fascinated by tales of having real lit candles on a tree. But I suspect that would result in a single, short, but very excitingly spectacular, tree lighting.

Customer was afraid someone will drive up on their lawn and into their house. I was telling them not to worry so much, then a drunk dude took out their plum tree last winter.

We put this fence in w lally columns for posts set 4 ft down w 4 bags of concrete in each hole.

Kind of feel sorry for anyone who goes off the road here now.
IMG_0267.JPG

My mom told accounts of being sent to the yard as a teen to catch and lop the head of a chicken off. I don’t recall all the details but her old aunt typically did the kil, um dispatching and old enough kiddos the plucking, or help with that task. Life on the farm in the way back machine.
My father grew up in the coal country of western PA, way up in the sticks on a tiny "farm" off the tracks.
One morning my grandfather woke him up telling him to get on his boots and load up his shotgun-there was a flock of ducks asleep on the reservoir(a small pond built to refill the steam boilers of the coal trains). Before walking out the door of the house he was instructed to be "Damn silent, and once he raised his gun, do the same." Once he fired, then my dad was to the same-just fire as fast as he could and don't worry about aiming...
Grandpa helped gather up the birds and carry them back to the house, but the cleaning and plucking of the 2 doz foul carcasses fell upon my father and grandmother. All the rest of the family (2 brothers and 3 sisters) were either already working or too young to assist in the process.
My dad turned slightly green as he retold the last bit of the story and I made sure to avoid restaurants with duck on the menu going forward.

Holy cow! A hidden bollard fence seems extreme for an island home, but what do I know ;)
Neighbor is gonna be thrilled about the new tree location...
Seems appropriate to me. After losing several mailboxes many years ago to various teen “teen” pranks and the absolute lack of interest of action by the Postmaster I installed a 10 gauge SS mailbox (7lbs) on a 6x6 post, 4 feet in the ground and encased in several bags of cement. The few mishaps have resulted in significant damage to the offenders. The mailbox has a lifetime warranty on damage and the few who’ve encountered it have had to re-dig the hole, place a new post and remount said 75 lb mailbox!

These are a variety of fluorescent minerals in cabinet with 3 different wavelengths of ultraviolet light. My wife is fascinated, I'll build her a cabinet this spring. Tomorrow we're going with them to a mine and then out collecting with UV lights tomorrow night
20231130_181730.jpg

Last edited:
These are a variety of fluorescent minerals in cabinet with 3 different wavelengths of ultraviolet light. My wife is fascinated, I'll build her a cabinet this spring. Tomorrow we're going with them to a mine and then out collecting with UV lights tomorrow nightView attachment 835281
Any idea what these minerals are? Might want to consider checking a geiger counter before you handle these too much. I know for instance that radio active uranium glass glows green in black light.

Seems appropriate to me. After losing several mailboxes many years ago to various teen “teen” pranks and the absolute lack of interest of action by the Postmaster I installed a 10 gauge SS mailbox (7lbs) on a 6x6 post, 4 feet in the ground and encased in several bags of cement. The few mishaps have resulted in significant damage to the offenders. The mailbox has a lifetime warranty on damage and the few who’ve encountered it have had to re-dig the hole, place a new post and remount said 75 lb mailbox!
My grandma lived out in the country. The road back to the farm diverted from the main road (which was paved when I was a kid), and headed through the woods. The mailbox was out at the main road, and at the time, there were no houses in sight, in any direction. There were 3 mailboxes there; one was hers, the other two belonging to the the two neighbors who lived on the same woods road. My dad moved us out there when I was in high school and so a fourth was added.
On occasion, someone would come by and wail on the mailboxes and beat them all flat; except one. We had never paid particular attention to the mailbox on the end until we noticed that it remained untouched. On closer inspection, it had a large diameter electrical cable that came out of the ground and wound up the post and just under the box, the sheathing was opened and the two wires separated and the bare ends attached to large bolts on either side of the mailbox. It had the appearance of being electrified with high voltage!
Nobody dared touch it!! 🤣

Last edited:
Back