Random Picture Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The incessant rain definitely slowed things down in the garden and led to mano a mano battles with slugs (I picked the wrong year to switch from fabric to straw!) but other than a bit of sunburn the toms have done well. Given everything I can't complain...

Cheers!

[late edit] Our veggie garden is raised to about 18" above grade which surely helps keep the beds from staying soaked for long...

Last edited:
Market sized cantaloupes are getting close to being ready for picking. Excited to finally be able to grow melons after multiple attempts at previous homes (that all failed due to weather) The one in the upper right should be ready any day now, as it's turned a golden hue in the last 2-3 days

1694017239908.png

looking back it appears I planted a 4" plant from Lowes around July 20th (likely the weekend prior to this, so say I planted a 4" seedling pot on July 16/17)

we had several weeks in Aug where multiple days were 100F or above for the highs, and the soil is volcanic ash (silt) that's loaded with an abundance of everything except nitrogen, so the cantaloupes and maters really took off without overgrowing.

sweet corn I sowed in a new bad on 29 July is now 48"-54" tall and starting to have the beginning of what will be ears. water and warmth without humidity really get some plants growing vigorously.

that cantaloupe in the upper right corner dropped off the vine at lunchtime today when I gently lifted it, so it's inside and awaiting breakfast later this week. just under 2-1/2 pounds. exciting to finally have a homegrown melon after decades of discouragement from sporadic attempts

Had a skid loader for the weekend to get some parts of the yard graded, got the important stuff done then I remembered a huge cherry tree that fell in my woods a few months ago and thought while I had the machine i should fetch it. A buddy of mine has a saw mill I'm gonna take it to and get boards made, also I've been wanting to make a new live edge bar to replace the one in my kitchen... this should do.
View attachment 825453
Well here we are several weeks later and got the call from the saw mill that my boards are out of the kiln.. this pic doesn't do it justice, this tree is gonna make some beautiful stuff.
20230915_142128.jpg

Nice! When I lived on the Olympic Peninsula we'd smoke those Chinook. Yummers!

Today (as almost always these days) was catch and release, this trip smallies and northern pike, all on the fly using froggy poppers. Hella fun!

View attachment 829765

View attachment 829766

Gonna do it again tomorrow!

Cheers!
Very nice. I've caught too many bass to count and a hundred or more pike over the years, but never on a fly rod. That must be a thrill.

Today was almost cathartic, with the weather a solid 10 and plenty of fish to be caught. I found silently slipping into tiny bays (tennis court size) packed with driftwood at the back and at least 15 feet of depth and shooting a froggy popper right to the edge of the floating rafts would 5 in 10 tries result in a fish imitating an SLBM rocketing out of the water with the popper.

And thanks to the "weedless" popper design keeping the lure "up front" (ie: not swallowed) all fish were released undamaged.

These were mostly 15 to 18 inches and a couple/few pounds. Only caught a pair of pike today, both "axe handles"...

20230922_105209.jpg

One of my sons noted the genetic diversity reflected in the differing color schemes of these small mouth bass...

20230922_150152.jpg

20230922_145609.jpg

20230922_150138.jpg

20230922_142011.jpg

20230922_141954.jpg

20230922_141943.jpg

20230922_135442.jpg

20230922_131915.jpg

20230922_120625.jpg

My sons and their families will all be coming up next week to close out Summer along with celebrating my youngest grandson's birthday. It's gonna be a riot! This was partly a scouting trip to figure out where the fish are and what's working, for the days the wives will let the boys go fishing 🎣

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back